• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's a good KNEEBOARD?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what I find rather stupid is that I get one of these Jep PPL training kits, and it has everything under the sun, except a kneeboard.. what's up with that? isn't a kneeboard one of the more important items you take with you flying?

crowbar said:
Go to walmart and buy a 2 dollar clipboard and a tablet, there's your kneeboard.
I'd like to be on that bike... :eek:

crowbar said:
Go to walmart and buy a 2 dollar clipboard and a tablet, there's your kneeboard.

man if that's your woman on that bike, you are a lucky man,, what the hell are you doing chatting on these forums.... you know where you should be right now... lol

true about the length thing, but at 6'2" its usually full back for me. and about the sectional fitting in the pocket unfolded...i usually keep my sectionals in my kneeboard since im using it all the time and my kneeboard keeps my maps, checklist etc all together instead of digging things out of my flightbag midflight that i forget to get out. however, on x-c's i normally have the sectional out on the dash anyways.

I'd like to BE that bike!!

about the kneeboards. My opinion is the simpler the better. I've had and seen students with lots of crap stuck all over their kneeboards and they still can't find what they're looking for. All the extra stuff gets in the way.

Fold the sectional and put in the corner of dash and window or in a pocket usually found in most GA aircraft. Or on the seat next to you when solo. All you really need is a notepad and pen/pencil to write down ATIS and ATC instructions. The only other item is a checklist. Try to think about the big picture and know your material before you fly. Keep things simple in the aircraft. Fly the aircraft.

The other thing is do what works for you. You may have to try one or two first before you find one you like. I used an ASA one, just a flat panel with all the cheat sheet info on it. It had a strap that went around your leg and I used that sometimes. It also had a pencil grip on one side. Lots of folks like the trifold but I never could see the need. Most are too bulky.

Get a $2 8.5x11'' clipboard from office depot.

Print out on a computer everything you want on your "cheat sheet". Tape it to the board.

Glue some foam rubber on the back if you really must.

There are about 500 items in the sporty's cawtalog that they would be more than happy to tell you that you need.

I used a 8x5" clipboard when I flew freight, and threw it in the seat next to me. If I had a pax, they held it till i needed it.

If a real honest-to-God kneeboard is what you need to make yourself feel more pilot-like, then by all means, go for it.

Just don't take it to your airline interview, like one fella I knew.

You'll never use it again.

pilotman2105 said:
It just depends. I've been through a few looking for one that I like. I found one left in an airplane that is similar to the one that you're looking at now. When I use one, that's the one that I use. However, after you go through a majority of your training, you'll find that you just use a chart.

But to sum it up, expect to go through a couple different ones looking for the one that you like. The ones that you don't like you can give to your passengers to use when you take them up.

I might be a goody two shoes but did you take the kneeboard that you found in the airplane to lost and found or did you "adopt it as your own." Some poor kid is probably still looking for it and hoping it might one day show up in the airplane where he left it..

I left a note with the dispatcher including my name and contact information. I'll be more than happy to return it to whomever calls me with an accurate description of it.

And on a similar note, I've left my fair share of personal belongings in aircraft which have never found their way to the lost and found... I don't like being in those shoes, so I wouldn't just "take" something that wasn't mine.

I'm not the evil little pilot you may think that I am...

:rolleyes:

I have an extended length ASA trifold kneeboard. I love it and don't fly without it. It has 3 pockets, 2 pencil holders, a clip, and a strap for your knee.

I personally like the strap on your knee because that way you can move your leg around or suffer some turbulence without it falling off or sliding around. Took me about 3 months to make it how I liked it and made shure everything was accessible but it works just fine now and I wouldn't go to anything else.

Latest resources

Back