What would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suswims

I am at 750tt and 50 multi, with the ultimate goal of going to skywest in a year. Right now I have two options, first, I have an offer to go to Mesa right now, I would prob just stay a year to get 121 and turbine....or I can continue to flight instruct, get my CFII, and was just offered the position of assistant chief until I get the mins for skywest, where the pay is better ( I am making about 30k flight instructing). I am in a bit of a money bind, so that is the only reason I am considering sticking it out flight instructing. With which experience is skywest more likely to hire me? Regardless of money, I would really like to make the best career decision. THanks for any advice anyone can give!!!!

Do not go to Mesa, do not go to Mesa. Instruct get your II and get the mins and apply anywhere other than Ho-Jets, or Mesa.

Why do you say that? I mean, I know they arent great to work for but many people go there as a means to get to skywest after a year, I understand why it may not be a great company long term though.

You can get to Skywest right out of instructing, if you are worred about money, you will be a lot more worried when you dont get paid during training and you have to foot your own hotel bill, and the 1900's that they would put you on would only pay you 18.55 per hour, along with crappy bases. Get your 1000/100 and go to one of Skywests open interviews, and you will get an interview out of that.

I guess, I just get the impression its pretty easy to get in with Skywest if you already have 121 experience, so I am thinking if I go to Mesa for a year, I have a better shot at getting hired with them, I like to hear other thoughts on the subject, its a tough decision.

Why do you say that? I mean, I know they arent great to work for but many people go there as a means to get to skywest after a year, I understand why it may not be a great company long term though.

Get on with any 121 airline asap, upgrade asap you should have your eye on a captain spot at a 121 airline flying something that is about 26,500 asap.

if money is a problem now, stay with the instruction unitl you can get to Skywest. The pay here first year isnt great but until that time you will at least be making a little while instructing. Dont go to Mesa.

If you're going to go to Mesa it would make more sense to just stay with them, upgrade to captain, get the turbine PIC time, then move onto a major. Making a lateral move to another regional where you'll be starting from the bottom again doesn't make much sense.

I have to agree with siuvcavflight though. I don't think the majority of people that go fly for Mesa go in with the mindset that they'll get a years worth of 121 experience just to move on to another regional. I think they probably get tired of being treated bad and paid poorly so they move on before they had planned.

You can't expect things to be so cut and dry in this industry either. Don't expect to be handed an interview anywhere just for getting some turbine time at Mesa. You never know when the economy might lose steam and/or the airlines slow hiring. SkyWest has been on a hiring frenzy for a while, but it won't last forever. You might just be stuck at an airline you didn't want to work at for very long.

Long story short... Work and build experience at a place that you will enjoy. If you think Mesa is the right thing for you then go for it. Just keep in mind instructing isn't the worst thing in the world and SkyWest hires plenty of folks right at 1000TT & 100multi with no 121 or 135 experience.

g

Like others have said, regional to regional is a LATERAL move, although maybe a DIAGONAL one if you go from Mesa to Skywest. But why would you want to move? Do you really want to go through 2 interviews, 2 training programs, 2 IOE, etc etc....? 2 x first yr pay- which at Mesa is pretty low???

Its not worth it...build your time if you need more and go to Skywest if thats where you're sold on or get 500/100 multi and you can probably get on with any other regional.......

I guess, I just get the impression its pretty easy to get in with Skywest if you already have 121 experience, so I am thinking if I go to Mesa for a year, I have a better shot at getting hired with them, I like to hear other thoughts on the subject, its a tough decision.
I dont know if it is true or not but I have heard that the pilots with previous 121 time have a hard time getting into Skywest, I dont know if it is true, but I guess that anything is possible.

Latest resources

Back