• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has anyone considered why the pay and working conditions at Mesa suck? It's because so many pilots agree to work for those crappy conditions, telling themselves it's just temporary until they can move up to something better.

Meanwhile, Mesa grows exponentially because it has rock bottom compensation that everyone agrees to work for, and contracts around the regional industry, and even now around the majors, are dragged down just so others have a chance at competing. So when you do get to that "real" job, it's not so good anymore.

If all pilots took the high road, and only agreed to work for industry standard wages or better, then maybe bottom feeders like Mesa would be forced to raise their compensation levels a bit to find pilots, and the whole industry would benefit.

It's not like you don't have other options. Do what's both good for you now and what's good for your industry later. You won't regret it.

As it has been said many times, Mesa is not the dream job. But, never disregard a bird in the hand. I have to ask you, are you major material right now minus your flight experience? Do you have a 4 yr degree or better? If not, a quick upgrade will not do you any good. Things change all the time in this industry. I was hired per 9/11 and upgrades were a little less than 2 years. I figured 5 years and I'm off to the majors. Well, entering year 7 next month and still in the right seat and have been domicile displaced twice now. We are now up to Eagle upgrade times. I think things will change for them rapidly. If AA starts recalling, they will take all the flowback guys and leave Eagle a couple hundred capt's short.

Be flexible. I think most will agree that flying 121 (even if its Mesa) is more valuable to your career than bouncing around the pattern in a 172 or pulling engines on a Seneca. Not many get the chance with that little time. If your goal is to be happy at a regional, then get the mesa job and keep trying. Don't give up trying. At the same note, if you go to Mesa, your goal needs to be to leave as soon as your ready for your next step. It is not a career place. Good Luck!

Stay with the CFI job until you get the 1000/100. If your goal is SkyWest, don't waste your time and money and sanity going to Mesa. It shouldn't take long until you have the time.

SkyWest hires plenty of people without 121 time (I am one of them). While you are building your time, clean up your resume and logbook, get everything ready for the interview, and brush up on your regs, IFR knowledge, systems, etc. If you can, learn a little about basic turbine aircraft systems.

Good Luck.

50 Multi, HA, all ya need is a pulse and a commercial multi right now. We don't have enough applications to fill our needed pilot slots... Think about this and consider why there are not more people applying. They are the smart ones.

No offense to the guys getting called for interview, but it really dosen't take much right now.

Greasy Side Down

50 Multi, HA, all ya need is a pulse and a commercial multi right now. We don't have enough applications to fill our needed pilot slots... Think about this and consider why there are not more people applying. They are the smart ones.

No offense to the guys getting called for interview, but it really dosen't take much right now.

Greasy Side Down

How many guys do you lose a month?

How many guys do you lose a month?

I'm mid level seniority (top half, barely) and picked up 11 numbers last month. Historically (since this contract was signed) we have a 20% annual attrition rate. That equals about 360 - 400 pilots a year or 30 - 33 pilots a month. I would say that's accurate as we loose more FO's then CA's. Coming up on my 3rd annivesary next month, and I have moved up 550 numbers sice I was hired.

God, how have I put with 3 years of this abuse...

Latest resources

Back