• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever you do, get out of the Food Additives game.

Maybe you could take a vacation, clear your head.

I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving.

Leave as soon as you possibly can. There is no future flying someone else's paint around.

Last edited:
I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving.

It's not a very difficult discision if you think logically and take the emotions out of it. What I mean is you're worrying about something that's not an option yet since you haven't been offered a job nor is anyone hiring. So what I would do is to get your apps and resume out to the "legacys" you want to fly for and if and when they offer you an interview then go. And only then if they offer you a job worry about it but in the mean time you're a long way from all that. And if you're not motivated to put the effort into the interviews well then you'll know you're not serious about moving on.

Get in the starting block, and get ready to run in the race! There is NO FUTURE at any Regional Airline--only a temporary comfort zone until it's too late!

What are your reasons for not wanting to leave a regional? I was in your same situation. I could not be happier after leaving for Delta. Don't look at the short term (temporary paycuts, etc). You have 30 plus years of flying left. As my wife told me, you didn't get started in this field just to stay at a regional. Don't cut your goals short.

You're 31, there is still 34 years left of professional flying before forced retirement. That is, assuming your car, wife, or airplane don't kill you first.

The only people I'd recommend staying at a regional are those in their 40s, 50s and already with 8-10+ years at their regional. By the time you leave, and get back to what you were making as a 10th year RJ Captain, you'd be forced to retire anyway. At 31, you got plenty of time. I say move on to a legacy carrier if given a choice.

I don't live in La La Land, but I like to have a positive outlook on this career.
In December 2012 the "legacies" will start massive retirement.
In January 2013 the new law will be in effect requiring part 121 pilots to have at least 1500TT before flying for a regional. The economy will be back on its feet in 2 years or sooner. Demand for flying will be higher with massive retirements.
There is no reason to stay at the regionals. There will be such a big movement on the majors with all those factors stated above, that you may not even sit reserve when hired by the legacies.
We had a bad past decade, but I truly believe in better days ahead. It's simple math.
Somebody posted here that in 2015 Delta alone will be retiring 800+ pilots in 1 year. That's only one airline. Imagine United, American, Continental, etc. You will be able to pick and choose where to go.

I don't live in La La Land, but I like to have a positive outlook on this career.
In December 2012 the "legacies" will start massive retirement.
In January 2013 the new law will be in effect requiring part 121 pilots to have at least 1500TT before flying for a regional. The economy will be back on its feet in 2 years or sooner. Demand for flying will be higher with massive retirements.
There is no reason to stay at the regionals. There will be such a big movement on the majors with all those factors stated above, that you may not even sit reserve when hired by the legacies.
We had a bad past decade, but I truly believe in better days ahead. It's simple math.
Somebody posted here that in 2015 Delta alone will be retiring 800+ pilots in 1 year. That's only one airline. Imagine United, American, Continental, etc. You will be able to pick and choose where to go.

I'm all for a measured dose of optimism combined with realism, but this type of post contributes to the degradation of the profession. So many shiny jet types at the various flight schools are going to get the same twinkle eyes as the pilots who've been been fed the same type of lineage over the last 10 years. Oh times are a little tough now, but you just wait, gosh darn it, you'll be able to go wherever you want to! And may not even sit reserve!?!?

This only encourages more fringe types to aim to go to the likes of Mesa and "just here to get my PIC time" so I can get on the hiring boom ASAP. Which in turn brings down the profession. Are you related to Kit Darby? And yes you live in la la land and even if you weren't, this type of post is like some fisherman who's so proud of his potential spot, he brags to the rest of the town. It's not "simple" math; in CRM terms, there are many threats to the future "legacy hiring boom".

Hiring boom 2012, mark your calendar

Latest resources

Back