What would happen to SKYW if UAL died?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

[FONT=&quot]He's been known to be a little bit of a fruit loop, but in an interview in this (2009) January's Playboy, Sir Richard Branson discussed the possible future of United.

Interviewer: "...the (airline) industry is in utter disarray."

Branson: "...Some of the really big airlines that are left could topple. At least one may topple soon."

Interviewer: "Which one?"

Branson: "It doesn't take much imagination to guess. But at least one of the two giants is likely to go.....We've got brand new planes, unlike big airlines like United. Our cost basis is much better than theirs..."

This raises some interesting questions. If United does fail, how will that affect Skywest? Also, facing a large potential reduction in Skywest's need for pilots, how might that affect ASA?[/FONT]

Given that ASA has pretty good scope to protect against aircraft transfers and a no-furlough clause, I'd say ASA would come out fine.

I'll take it even further... what about Shuttle America(RAH), Colgan, TSA, GoJet, and Mesa... They will lose a lot of flying but someone's going to have to fill the void.

[FONT=&quot]He's been known to be a little bit of a fruit loop, but in an interview in this (2009) January's Playboy, Sir Richard Branson discussed the possible future of United.

Branson: "...Some of the really big airlines that are left could topple. At least one may topple soon."

Branson: "It doesn't take much imagination to guess. But at least one of the two giants is likely to go.....We've got brand new planes, unlike big airlines like United. Our cost basis is much better than theirs..."

This raises some interesting questions. If United does fail, how will that affect Skywest? Also, facing a large potential reduction in Skywest's need for pilots, how might that affect ASA?[/FONT]

I've never read a Playboy. I didn't even know they had words.

This is him selling tickets for his airline. "We have brand new aircraft, United is going to fail" blah, blah, blah. Fly VA...NOT!

Well Sir Branson, I want to go from LAX to ORD, United has that route what about your airline? Huh, really. Couldn't get any gates in Chicago, don't want to go head to head with Southwest?

What about BRAND RECOGNITION? My first thought on airlines isn't Virgin America. But you have lower costs *pats Sir Branson on the back* job well done.

Go burgle some more turds, ya turd burglar!

eP.

wouldn't be good. would go two ways. massive layoffs and downsizing or buying the domestic routes or a million other different routes.

wouldn't be good. would go two ways. massive layoffs and downsizing or buying the domestic routes or a million other different routes.

Interesting you should say that. Jerry Atkin said about 3 years ago when asked that same thing about United. He said that Skywest had contingency plans with United to do just that. I'm not sure how that would be done; it's not like United could just hand Skywest planes and routes even at any price. Isn't there regulatory approvals and all? But on the other hand, if that all took months to accomplish, I guess that's not much time in the scheme of things for an airline.

Could definitely go a little something like this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard SkyWest Airlines flight 839 with non-stop service to Sydney, Australia...operated by SkyWest international partner carrier United Airlines."

Seriously...it would be a clusterfark...but I think, with as much as SKYW's survival depends on UAL, I don't think it would be too far out of the realm of possibility for SKYW to buy up a majority stake in UAUA.

Of course, none of us can predict how UAL would react to having competent management for once.

Given that ASA has pretty good scope to protect against aircraft transfers and a no-furlough clause, I'd say ASA would come out fine.

That's my hope, anyway.

I don't see any massive growth 'opportunities' if UAL craters, however.

Those seats would be flown by someone else. In the current state of the economy, I don't think the Imperial Federal Government would allow for that entity to go away.

Latest resources

Back