Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What will Republic do with their big C-Series CS300 Order?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am happy about bringing it back. I am not impressed with continuing to screw others by increasing outsourcing. I actually agree with you. It is time to move to main line. If you can.

I am curious to know what would happen to legacy carrier game plans if skyw were to merge lists, provided a more career centric environment and dramatically "dry up" the available talent pool they are assuming will fall all over themselves to make the transition.

Last edited:
Mainlines are in total control, don't doubt that. SKYW Inc, or any other Regional, would not be successful without mainline's blessing. All mainline has to do is create another Endeavor, buy more 717 size aircraft (do it majors!!!), or just take back ALL their flying. Hopefully it's the latter two.

Mainlines are in total control, don't doubt that. SKYW Inc, or any other Regional, would not be successful without mainline's blessing. All mainline has to do is create another Endeavor, buy more 717 size aircraft (do it majors!!!), or just take back ALL their flying. Hopefully it's the latter two.

Seeing that they are, and plan on almost exclusively getting pilots from the FFD side of the industry, "total control" seems a bit presumptuous. Again where would they get the pilots to fly at their "new" Endeavor? There are 20673 total pilots from all FFD airlines (airlinepilotcentral.com). A combine SKYW Inc would represent 8008 pilots or just under 40% of the total pilot pool, leaving 12665 to be spread across the big 3. Why would it be such a stretch to say that INC. in pursuit of no other reason than a fiduciary responsibility to their share holders, goes rogue in an attempt to siphon domestic capacity from the legacies. Not able to staff their lighter gauge equipment the dinosaurs would be forced to concede capacity and/or collapse in on themselves like a dying star. Or perhaps a more likely scenario, how about DAL, UAL or AMR buying SKY Inc. (for not much more reason than acquiring pilots) more than likely causing someone to be left standing when the music stops.

A possibility for sure in regards to buying SkyWest Inc. Maybe more programs like Delta's WMU sponsoring future pilots but open to more than minorities, or even like the one Luftansa (sp) has out west. That would give them quite a bit of quality control over the training program. Offering these paid programs will attract many potential applicants, but more than likely not enough. No doubt they'll be robbing the regionals of their pilots (hopefully me). Appears that DAL is already addressing the shortage with the 717s replacing RJ routes.

Yeah I definitely think they are trying to address the shortage. I am just curious with the methods they will employ to shore up the problem. I am more interested though in how long it will be before one of them comes to the realization that they can seed competitive advantage by acquiring pilots via a large regional acquisition (i.e. SKYW). In order to be effective though, it would have to be an acquisition that included a seniority number on the legacy list in order to retain enough of the pilots to ensure the the effectiveness of the tactic (read: don't repeat the Endeavour fail)

Yeah it does make you wonder what these COOs are thinking and when they'll come to the realization that there will be a shortage in the near future, and do something about it. As you mentioned DAL is screwing up the Endeavor experiment. Then there's AAG apparently preparing to slam Eagle (Envoy) and perhaps closing shop there (CMR II?) when they're another wholly owned AAG could just roll in with seniority numbers and the same benefits mainline gets. But that won't happen as the majors are addicted to cheaper lift that still doing at least 45% of domestic flying to include Canada, Mexico, and the Islands. As we all know airlines typically follow others lead, so it'll be interesting to see if the other two follow DAL and replace RJs with 717 type airframes. They do like the 70-76 seaters though, and those planes make sense in a lot of markets.

Latest resources

Back