Votes: 58 44.3%
  • Airbus 318/319/320/321.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Boeing 757.

Votes: 18 13.7%

• Total voters

g159av8tor

Chicago Style
In your humble opinions, what will be the narrowbody airframe ACA chooses to launch its LCC?

Tailwinds...

Might be worth looking into the EMB170. I saw on at DVT today and it has that "big airplane" look, but the RJ operating cost. It looks far more like an airbus than a regional jet.

FlyChicaga said:
Ah yes, the RJ operating cost, which is higher per hour as compared to the B-737. Nearly twice as much.

I think you mean CASM is twice as much. I don't think the operating cost is. Do you really think it costs an RJ twice as much to operate per hour over a 737?

I think you mean CASM is twice as much. I don't think the operating cost is. Do you really think it costs an RJ twice as much to operate per hour over a 737?

no....but the RJ only has a fraction of the revenue potential. CASM is really the only important cost when operating in your choice of markets.

Brazil is not quite a 3rd world country. Most people who use the term are not sure what it means. Brazil is very industrialized, and has invested in a lot of high tech industries at home rather than importing it from outside. And their educational system is probably better than ours. Even Cuba has a much higher literacy rate than the U.S.

DoinTime said:
no....but the RJ only has a fraction of the revenue potential. CASM is really the only important cost when operating in your choice of markets.

Actually, balancing CASM against load is how you determine an aircraft/market strategy. Otherwise, we'd be flying 777's on that GRR-CVG run.

You can't make money with a 737 on a run that averages less than 50 folks. That's why you slap an RJ on that puppy.

DoinTime said:

This is true, however, listening to the ACA earnings webcast yesterday revealed the strategy. When you are doing short haul flights(350NM), CASM importance erodes and departure costs determine the market. I believe the example they keep using is IAD-SAV. That market may be too small to operate 3 737 flights a day, while 6-8 RJ trips a day could be. I don't have the numbers right now, but I believe he said the departue costs for a 350nm flight would be $2800 for the RJ. I do not remember the departure cost for the 737 on that type of flight, but it was higher. I think the magic number for the RJ is around 28 pax. (But don't quote me on that) If you use $100 fare one way(28 pax *$100 =$2800) then ... 28 pax * 8 flights = 224 passengers a day to break even. That is only 1 1/2 737 departures a day, not enough frequency to be a viable option.

Before you say I'm drinking the kool-aide, I am just giving you the recap of what Kerry Skeen said. This model did work for ACA before fee-per-departure started. I remember ACA running Metro-Jet out of IAD a few years ago. Of course, that was with the help of the United brand/reservations/frequent flier miles, etc. That is where I believe ACA feels the risk comes from in this endeavor. IF ACA gets a good brand AND can get a possible code-share with an airline with good perks where people can fly on ACA and use the miles or points or whatever on the code-share airline, it could work. We shall see!

Skank said:
Brazil is not quite a 3rd world country. Most people who use the term are not sure what it means. Brazil is very industrialized, and has invested in a lot of high tech industries at home rather than importing it from outside. And their educational system is probably better than ours. Even Cuba has a much higher literacy rate than the U.S.

You havent been there have you? I think africa is about the only place more 3rd world

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back