• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What was that all about in CLE today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to fly for CommutAir out of CLE so let me try and explain a little bit what may have happened. Keep in mind it has been a while so my memory may be a bit hazy.

If I remember correctly CommutAir does not count a taxi fuel burn in its W&B because the BE-1900 burns so little at idle and most places we flew the taxi line was so short. When loads are high there was often a very small margin between ramp fuel and minimum takeoff fuel. Sure you could probably fudge a bit and take a little extra -take 2600lbs but call it 2400 on the W&B paperwork. The other thing is when I was there our flights were normally scheduled out/in just before or after the CAL banks, so we typically didn't wait much in line. When you had the "perfect storm" of high loads and taxi delays, it often got tight for takeoff fuel. You could single engine taxi sometimes to help out, but it can be tricky in the Beech with no power steering.

All that being said, in the end there is no need to get overly aggressive with ATC before about a fuel situation before you take off. Advise them of the situation and see if they can help you out. If not call dispatch and see if they can change your release to reduce your takeoff fuel (closer alternate). And if all else fails, go back to the gate for more fuel.

Well, I've been in the 75 with our total fuel being 200-300 lbs above takeoff fuel. The captain (an of course qualified and god's gift to aviation MALE) and I knew we had to get going asap or we would have to go back and get more fuel or an amended release. You guys are just jumping on all this because the pilot was a female. If the pilot was a male, this thread wouldn't even have been written and you all are just jumping right on the bandwagon as usual. :rolleyes: Of course, the obligatory "she'll be at Delta next year" is right in there too. You all need help.

Wow...pretty defensive aren't ya...

Seriously, it gets old

Well let me get you started then:

If it's the chick I think it probably was, she was just hired at SWA. Without a type rating.

Discuss.

:D

First of all I started this thread not because the pilot was a chick. It was started because she was constantly whining on the radio, trying to get in front of about 30 a/c for T.O., and almost declaring min fuel on the taxi out. Somehow I doubt that she is coming to SWA but stranger things have happened. If that is the case she will have a very steep learning curve on her IOE. (if she makes it through training..attitude is big here.) Not surprised that the Capt. Mega was trying to turn this into a male-female debate.....or eventually a pft debate....oh yeah and by the way she was taxing out on both engines.....

Latest resources

Back