• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What was that all about in CLE today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's because a MAN would've put enough fuel on before he left the gate . . . or we ain't goin' nowheres, dammit! :cool:

Heh-heh!

Seriously, I have never had to gate return for fuel. If I don't have enough showing on the release to deal with the departure delay, then I'm putting more on. End of story.

PS., those old Lears didn't have th luxury of putting more on. Small tanks and they burned as much idling on the ground as they did at FL410. If they didn't get airborne and up to altitude, they weren't gonna reach the destination. Seldom applicable in the 121 environment unless you are landing weight limited or lack testicular fortitude.

Last edited:
Where have you been? A lot of companies don't give you squat for fuel anymore.

That's why the PIC should add fuel before blocking out.

Would Dave Mustaine take the stage with only one additional pick on his mike stand because that's what the venue "gave" him? ;)

Would Dave Mustaine allow his tour bus to leave the stadium with "min beer" on board? :beer:

What Would Dave Do?

:D

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

That's why the PIC should add fuel before blocking out.

I agree but we don't know the whole story. Not only that, but was she the PIC or just the new FO relaying what the capt. was telling her? Chances are, the other pilot was a guy. Why didn't HE, in all his wisdom, speak up? Like I said, if this was a dude, the thread wouldn't exist and you all know it.

Seriously, I have never had to gate return for fuel. If I don't have enough showing on the release to deal with the departure delay, then I'm putting more on. End of story.

Well, I've never declared an emergency....I guess that means I am good luck. :D

Seriously though, I returned to the gate once but it was after waiting over 2 hours for a storm that was "going to pass in just a few minutes" (according to dispatch), etc. etc.

male v. female....at least it's not mil v. civ. A nice breath of fresh air.....

Why didn't HE, in all his wisdom, speak up?

He probably did speak up, but the woman on board most likely shut him down by telling him that he was a horrible bed mate. Then she probably made a snide remark about his mother. :smash:

just breakin' your balls, or ovaries as the case may be...

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

we would always have min fuel plus 110 lbs in the beech at air middy. not much when there's a line out there.

That sounds about right from my Beech days. Problem was always that the aircraft could only carry 19 pax with about a 2200-2400 pound fuel load, that's basically only half tanks. Now this was BEFORE the CLT accident and the FAA mandated new weights for America's ever increasing waist line. Nowadays I have no idea how much fuel you can take with 19 pax onboard. But it's gotta be much less than half tanks. So yes, in the Beech you can leave the gate with "min fuel". I used to even taxi on one engine as much as I could, not an easy task without any kind of power steering to help you out. And yes I even had to go back to the gate once because we didn't have enough fuel to wait out the 30+ minute taxi time and still make release and carry a full passenger load with all their luggage.

No one should be playing Monday morning quarterback, unless you've actually been a quarterback.

But none of this excuses this pilot's actions, wish I would have been there to hear it go down. Still I've been in that situation before, and there's not a whole lot you can do.

Why is this in the "Majors" forum BTW??

Last edited:
I agree but we don't know the whole story. Not only that, but was she the PIC or just the new FO relaying what the capt. was telling her? Chances are, the other pilot was a guy.

Yeah . . . I thought that too, but then we wouldn't have anything to banter about, would we. . . . .

Ooops, I'm being summoned to dinner by the Head of Household . . . .Yes, Dear. . . . so long, y'all!

Latest resources

Back