What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots?? - Merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Two years without continuous work or continuing education is the limit in most states. Technology is continually progressing, and it would be irresponsible to even TRY to practice as a nurse having not used the skills for 2 years.
What's the problem??? All you need is the current rev documents on the latest routing of blood vessels and bone configurations. ;)

TonyC said:
Two years without continuous work or continuing education is the limit in most states. Technology is continually progressing, and it would be irresponsible to even TRY to practice as a nurse having not used the skills for 2 years.

One would hope that you're more familiar with the field of aviation than the field of nursing. :)

Calm down Tony:) I am sure one getting back into the field of Nursing is not the "Nurse in Command".

I know the references to college sports teams is a way of being a supportive fan and all but... I just don't get the people who devote their allegience to a university based on its football/basketball/insert sport team. You see it all over but it seemed especially prevelant in the south. I can see the interview now: "I see you went to USC. Why yes, I was in a class with our quarterback once! When can you start?" The academic reputation of the college seems trivial to these people.

Find a school that's price competitive with a strong program in a major that interests you. You want a reasonable chance of success in the real world if you decide aviation's not for you or not worth putting up with.

Veritas vos liberabit

smellthejeta said:
And frankly, I believe that your institution of higher educationisverygood at what it does, and has a unique combination ofstrongprogramsthat you can't find anywhere else. Had I known then whatIknow now, Iwould have selected Purdue for my undergraduate studies(forall kindsof reasons... I could have done the engineering thing,flew,and got myCTI training). Heck, I would have selected it for myCTItraining aswell most recently (in conjunction with a Master'sdegree),but you knowwhat Prof. Nolan (the guy who runs your CTIprogram andwrote a $100text book I had to buy) told me? If you wantto go be acontroller, gobe a controller. Don't come here and do aMaster's degree.It's likePilotYIP says about being a Pilot -- if youwanna be a pilot,go buildflight time. Don't horse around with anaeronautical sciencedegreethinking it will make you a better pilot orget you hired fasterthanPIC time.

As a current graduate student at Purdue I gotta interject and putsome perspective into what smellthejeta alluded to above. Wewould all agree that the advice given by Prof Nolan is reasonable atface value,however in looking just a little deeper you will discoverthe reasons why somebody in the position that he holds REALLY said whathe said to you.

Prof Nolan, privately, is not concerned with the airline hopefuls, heis concerned with kids like me, because we discovered the niche hediscovered 25 years ago and won't let go of it. "If you want to be acontroller be a controller???" Are you f'ing kidding me?!?! Listen,Mr.Nolan knows as much as I know, that I won't use the graduate degreeI'm currently pursuing for what the brochure says I'm supposed to useit for. You know what I will use it for? To get the job HE HAS. Andthat's WHY he is so animate about telling you to not get "distracted"with the pursuit of otherwise un-related graduate degrees in yourpursuit of the flying soda can. He knows his advice will completelyresonate as sound advice to the airline hopeful, since the airlinehopeful does not recognize or aspire to what I discovered, Prof.Nolan's job.

In other words, I will graduate by the end of the year with anunmarketable, yet highly technical and socially valuable masters inAero engineering, big freggin' deal right? Well, coupled with a BSinthe same AND the completion of my tickets, puts me where? knockingonthese professors's boots. Put in a couple of years flight instructingfor a university, combined with the aforementioned formal education andnot jumping ship for the peanut regionals puts me right in line forafaculty job where I can 1)make decent money and establishreputationand 2)continue to fly and enjoy what I truly love. The wasteof time istaking these professors' advice seriously. As for Purdue, Iresonatethe sentiment of others, I wouldn't do [flight training] ithere, I continue to pursue my ratings on the side on the small FBOscene,saving cash while I also complete the degree. Hell if it wasn'tfor the**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** National Guardbeing such a bitch I wouldn't even be doing Purdue at all right now,but paying the rent is another post altogether.

Is this path I've described for everybody? not at all, of course ProfNolan wants this to be the case badly and I understand it. But forsomebody (me) who ended up getting all this extra education and hasflying as his passion, beats the regionals and the cookie FBO gig by alongshot, a bonus for me since I never wanted the airline path andactually would get to instruct for a living in the air and intheclassroom while not looking at it like a stepping stone... andthat's good enough for me (was good enough for the Prof. Nolans of theworld)...Lets just take these people's advice with a grain of salt andnot gospel, in the end anybody with experience in aviation will tellyou finding a niche market is the way to attaining a balance betweenthe love we share for flying and putting food on the table.

Happy flying folks

Typing/spacing aside

hindsight2020 said:
sorry for the spacing problems above, nothing like writing a thesis online :)
The spacing problems may not be your fault. I've had similar problems for about four days using a Mozilla-based browser. Never happened before last week using the same browser.

No problems with IE or Safari. I have a Mac.

???

The spacing problems may not be your fault. I've had similar problems for about four days using a Mozilla-based browser. Never happened before last week using the same browser.

No problems with IE or Safari. I have a Mac.

FireFox on a Windows XP machine does the same thing to me as well. Post looks fine in the editing window and then when it is posted spaces get deleted.

P

e12pilot said:
FireFox on a Windows XP machine does the same thing to me as well. Post looks fine in the editing window and then when it is posted spaces get deleted.
Firefox is what I've been using - but, it was fine until about Wednesday.

Goose Egg said:
ERAU is cool, but it is very expensive, and in the end, you won't end up any better off than anyone else.

-Goose

Goose, who are you kidding. If you've ever talked to a ERAU grad you'll know ERAU is far from "cool" :)

Latest resources

Back