What now for Mesaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotChapin

So what's going to happen now at Mesaba with Delta taking away 10 of the 15 promised 900's?
Are you guys looking to furlough, displace or are you guys going to be ok? Did they already hire all the people for the 5 CRJ 900's?

we are now overstaffed for the current plans (which could again change anytime) As of right now there have been no announcements as to what will happen because of this. Likely if no new flying comes along then there will probably be at least a realignment if not at least some furloughs, though they will also offer unpaid leaves before using furloughs, it just depends on what plane/base you are in right now. Looks as if we are more overstaffed on the FO side and probably could not have to downgrade anyone (other than maybe some of the Saab street captains who could be at risk of furlough...)

we are now overstaffed for the current plans (which could again change anytime) As of right now there have been no announcements as to what will happen because of this. Likely if no new flying comes along then there will probably be at least a realignment if not at least some furloughs, though they will also offer unpaid leaves before using furloughs, it just depends on what plane/base you are in right now. Looks as if we are more overstaffed on the FO side and probably could not have to downgrade anyone (other than maybe some of the Saab street captains who could be at risk of furlough...)

I agree. For now everything is just peachy. I asked around and it seems like we are a bit overstaffed, but like WMUSIGPI said it's mostly FO's. We have 1174 people or so on the seniority list and there are street captain between the 840ish to 950ish range I think. Worst case scenario is that a few of the street captains get downgraded but I really doubt a furlough. I'm very sure that by march or april we'll start to see time off with out pay being offered. That will surely help. Last time we had that there were more than enough people that took it and with that furloughs were prevented. Las time around "last year" we were REAAAAALLY overstaffed, by more than 200 if I remember hearing. So this time around we're not so severely overstaffed.
But who knows, thing change all the time and this year will make or brake many companies I believe. Two things could hurt mesaba, losing the 5 airplanes and/or losing the 17 CRJ 200's. Then we would see massive furloughs and what not.

I asked around and it seems like we are a bit overstaffed, but like WMUSIGPI said it's mostly FO's. We have 1174 people or so on the seniority list and there are street captain between the 840ish to 950ish range I think.

To put the overall staffing numbers in perspective XJ will have 107 airframes and 1174 pilots. PCL will have 140 airframes and 1306 pilots and our management thinks we are way overstaffed.

To put the overall staffing numbers in perspective XJ will have 107 airframes and 1174 pilots. PCL will have 140 airframes and 1306 pilots and our management thinks we are way overstaffed.

That's just plain scary.

One thing this debacle shows is that with Delta, everybody's flying is in play at all times. Nobody can count on anything.

It was just a few weeks ago someone from Mesaba was gloating about getting all those 900's. It's amazing how fast Delta whipsaws us against each other.
I wouldn't be suprised if they were awarded to someone else before this is said and done with!!!

The other bad thing coming up this spring is planes are scheduled to be pulled off line to get the new paint jobs thus causing even more overstaffing though as stated that would be a shorter term problem likely solved with voluntary time off without pay offerings.

It was just a few weeks ago someone from Mesaba was gloating about getting all those 900's. It's amazing how fast Delta whipsaws us against each other.
I wouldn't be suprised if they were awarded to someone else before this is said and done with!!!

Really?

I don't remember ANY gloating. But then again your post could be read in that light now, couldn't it?

Latest resources

Back