• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What made Eastern GO Under?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lorenzo tried to prove that the work stoppage was a wildcat strike the federal courts ruled it was a legal work stoppage and Lorenzo retaliated by filing Chapter 11. Most of the details I have come from "Grounded" by AAron Bernstein. As for bs I would agree as it expresses viewpoints of many pilots. I was told that the contract had been voted on but I just read it was not voted on but was in the final stages prior to the strike. The pilots did not vote to strike and the IMB did not set a date, that is not bs.

(Has anyone else noticed Turbo becomming less coherent as this goes on?)

Turbo, you still haven't answered my question. FD has put his cards on the table, now how about you? Are you a scab or not? No, no, wrong question. Were you a pilot at C.A.L. or E.A.L. who crossed the picket line?

TurboS7,

Earlier you said the pilots did not vote. Then you said the vote came after the work stoppage. Which was it? Well anyway, you were wronge in both cases.

Listen pal, I was there. I voted and mailed my ballot in well before the IAM strike.

And why are you even talking about a pilot contract? You said, "The pilots did not vote to strike and the IMB (sic) did not set a date, that is not bs." What are you talking about. Nobody ever said that the pilots voted to strike over their contract or that the NMB had set a date. That has nothing to do with what we are discussing except to cloud the issue. Eastern's pilots were working under a valid contract--Period. So what--nothing to do with honoring the IAM picket line.

EAL's pilots VOTED rightly or wrongly to honor the IAM picket line. What more can I say. You can say as many times as you want to that we didn't but we did.

But, please don't tell me again that I didn't vote (when I did), or that the vote was after the walkout (which it wasn't).

I think you may have been hanging around with too many SCABS with too many excuses why they were SCABS, because you sure are coming up with a lot of their BS.

Yup.......that why it is nice to hear some views from the other side of the picket line. There is a lot to learn and as the pilot market gets real tight guys have to know what they are going to do before they wind up in a labour situation.

Score FD109 4 Turbo 0

EAL's pilots VOTED rightly or wrongly to honor the IAM picket line. What more can I say. You can say as many times as you want to that we didn't but we did.

But, please don't tell me again that I didn't vote (when I did), or that the vote was after the walkout (which it wasn't).

[/B]

I as well remember the vote from the CAL pilots view. Not sure if you remember but some of our ex ALPA officers were consulting with the EAL ALPA MEC a the time. Our advice was to NOT leave the cockpit, under any circumstances, with Frank at the helm, especially for the IAM. Understandibly, the EAL situation was different but our perspective was that Frank was going to do exactly what he eventually did. From an outsider view we predicted the destruction and his dismemberment of EAL.

Didn't JB call t he strike off but was overruled (and replaced) by hard line elements within the MEC (SC)?

Our strike was a total disaster and completely goatf*ucked from the start. We crossed an IAM picket line for several weeks before our walkout.

One final thought. I learned a long time ago that calling these guys scabs and getting worked up does nothing but raise your blood pressure. If the term bothered them in the least they wouldn't of crossed in the first place. And trust me, they could care less about JS denials or getting labled as a scab. What has always concerned me is why are so many guys on the list, ex ALPA members?

Last edited:
He's A Scab!

All of the guys wondering about Turbo's background (SCAB or not a SCAB) should do a search for the thread about 3 months ago about the Gulfstream and PFT debate. He openly admitted he was a SCAB. Don't waste your time arguing with this sh*tbag. Just ignore him.

Re: He's A Scab!

Originally posted by CRJ200FO
All of the guys wondering about Turbo's background...he openly admitted he was a SCAB. Don't waste your time arguing with this sh*tbag.
Ah, there's nothing like a healthy, spirited debate! :D

Don't hold back, CRJ200FO! Tell us how you really feel!

Last edited:
Re: FD109

publisher said:
FD109

"People make all kinds of decisions in life to take care of their
families. People who condem those people and rant that they do not want them on their jump seat, well, that is not your seat to determine]"

The jumpseat **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** well belongs to the PIC at my airline (per our FOM). And no scab will ever occupy MY jumpseat.

From TurboS7:

Yes my name is there a long with 5000+ other guys. I fly new equipment to destinations only a major airline pilot can dream of, had I not made the decision that I did years ago I would just be with some major airline going from here to there.

and

That is right, this Eastern scab is telling you to stay away from the complete thing. They are just looking for "outsiders" to solve the internal problems at what will be your expense. When they don't need you anymore they will fire you for dropping peanuts on the flight deck and you will be out the door right now. You will have a type rating and time but all you will do with it is become a Hadj expert and see parts of the world that you didn't know existed. Being an ALPA scab is one thing, being a full-fledged ICAO SUPER SCAB even I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone. Don't go and make my being a scab something worth having. By the way the head of the APA MEC for AA told me to go to EAL as they had an axe to grind with ALPA. Like an idiot I gave it a go with the hope that EAL would merge with CO, or that the rEAL(I like that)pilot's would come back and I would be out on the street but at least with an EAL senority number. Neither happened and I was on a roller-coaster trying to pay the bills at home and I really had no choice but to carry on. EAL was a great airline and all the guys that came back and saved the thing were great. I have nothing but high respect for the guys that didn't walk, for the guys that walked and never came back, and for the guys that came back after walking the picket line. My sincere hope during the complete thing was that the mess would be settled everything would return to normal and I would fade into the sunset. That never happened(I even told a guy that on the picket line, three weeks later he came back flying) the whole thing became a mess after 6 weeks and ALPA knew that had made a wrong decision and everyone lost. As I have tried to say in past post there is a lot to learn from the whole thing if you guys would just stop name calling and listen. STAY AWAY FROM CATHY AND STICK WITH AIRTRAN AND JOE. A BETTER PLACE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IF YOU HAVE ONE.

Here is the link.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=36971&highlight=Scab#post36971

You guys really hurt you know that, all this name calling just brings me to tears. I don't want and don't need your jumpseat, I buy a ticket on an airline which helps pay your bills. When one of our guys gets rejected on the js, we don't use that airline anymore, that results in about a loss of 1 to 2 Million to your airline. Go ahead do whatever, its your job. You have a list, I have a list too, and I do control not a jumpseat but many seats on an aircraft-big deal. By the way all legit pilots are welcome on my jumpseat and in multiples if the need be, I don't care where they have come or what airline. They are just fellow pilots. I listen and I see all the attitude's on this board, I know that if a situation came about as EAL, half you guys would be waiting in line. I saw it at UAL and EAL thousand of guys coming out to take a guys job, I am saying don' t it. There is even a thread here somewhere where a guys is belly aching because he turned the Cathy Pacific job down after reading what I put on this board. He was saying he should have taken the job now. The pilot job market at this time is not tight at all, all kinds of good airlines are hiring. Yet I hear and see everyone belly aching, you havn't seen anything yet. Big jets don't and never have impressed me, all I ever wanted was to fly and provide for my family. Aviation has provided that, the door was opened to me at EAL. I came to EAL with 9000 hours of piston time no turbine time, EAL helped me transition to turbines. I know I took the legit seat of some other guy for a time, whoever that person is I owe them a lot and I thank them for sharing a part of aviation that was really neat. My short time at EAL was wonderful and I enjoyed everyone that flew with. Some of the most interesting guys were the ones that came back at the last, after ALPA said go back. They endured the pain and hardship of the strike and had a bunch of interesting stories to tell. Great men with great character. FD109, you voted one way and the majority went the other, you stuck with the guys and did the right thing. I don't recommed my path to anyone but under my circumstances, and my situation, being the independent sort that I am(I was always in management never a line pilot prior to EAL)it was good for me. Boeingman is right, yelling and calleing names doesn't accomplish anything.It doesn't bother myself or anyone else, we made a decision , maybe it was a wrong one but we did it and I will stick with it and the consequences. So yell and scream and do what whatever your childish desires call for , it won't change what has already done and it sure won't change my mind. Our country was founded by guys being excommunicated out of the Church of England, people going against the flow. Piss me an others off and we will prevail somewhere, somehow, it is a free country.Have fun with this one.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back