Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is your company's parking brake procedure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At my company we have seperate PUSH, OUT, and OFF. PUSH is brake released doors closed, and OUT is brake release plus oil pressure plus NWS armed. The FAA block doesn't start running until OUT.

I think it's a sham. They probably can squeeze an extra 50 hours out of us in a year because of that, and avoid numerous 30/7 issues.

Yeah, but you are hurting yourself if you Aren't logging the push. If you are acting as PIC or SIC (which u are if the doors are shut and the brakes are off) then you can log the time. Especially when you consider that most airlines don't separate push time. If one airline's pilot can log it, you can too.

But, everyone pretty much just logs block to block without thinking about it. No worries, FAA seems cool with that.

But riddle me this: if it's enough to get a guy violated to log time in the 121 world from the moment the engines are started (with the airplane parked), why is it totally okay for the same pilot to have logged "hobbs time" back in his GA days? Think about how long it takes to start, warm up, and run up a piston engine. All before the airplane first "moves under it's own power". That means, under the 121 version of time-logging logic that we all have to go back and erase something like 10-25% of our GA time to be legal.

I bet the FAA didn't touch that guy's GA time when they audited his "padded" logbook.

Why the double standard, hmm?

(1) From the FAR-AIM definitions: Flight Time means pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under it's own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing.

Why the beef for not being able to log a push as flight time? Sure, 30/7 can be an issue but the only time including push time as flight time would benefit you is if you want to go home early. Otherwise, you're losing potential pay if you apply it to 30/7 and other legalities. Waahh, so in a year with 900 hours FAA time you log approx 75 hrs less (conservative guess) that you pushed, oh well, you'll have to fly another month or two to reach that magical 1000.

(2) Since when did any GA flight take .1 or more (6 min plus) to start 'em up and start taxiing out? Three minutes, tops. But I've done a 15 min + push plenty of times.

(3) My company records 'FAR Blk' and total Blk (push to in time) on my pay reports, and I assume my flight time they record will be sent with a PRIA request to a potential employer. It's in my best interests for my flight time in my logbook to match what my company sends to XXX airlines, don't you think?

Why the beef for not being able to log a push as flight time? Sure, 30/7 can be an issue but the only time including push time as flight time would benefit you is if you want to go home early. Otherwise, you're losing potential pay if you apply it to 30/7 and other legalities. Waahh, so in a year with 900 hours FAA time you log approx 75 hrs less (conservative guess) that you pushed, oh well, you'll have to fly another month or two to reach that magical 1000.

How are we losing potential pay by applying it to 30/7? (I'm pretty sure we work at the same company) We get paid for PUSH time, and any legs dropped to remain compliant are paid! And 75 hrs less a year?!!!! That's the difference between working on XMAS, and getting all of December Off With Pay (OWP)! This stuff matters!

The long standing problem with getting pilots to truly embrace a compliance culture has always been an individual pilots self interest. When it comes to block out times someone always has their "reason" to violate the posted rules whether it be they are trying to build time, fatten their paycheck, or go home early for the week. I hope your regulatory compliance isn't so easily bendable in more critical circumstances.

Stealth pay-cut.

No need to read much of any thing else into it.

You can always donate blood. Maybe some other liquids.

Latest resources

Back