Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is your company's parking brake procedure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get mad, get even. Do not taxi faster than a brisk walk. Forgot to start the second engine till you were number 1 for takeoff? Oh well, just don't forget that warm up time limitation. Don't taxi untill all check lists are complete, as runway incursions are a hot button item. Make sure you brief the taxi route in a detailed fashion. This is just a small list of ways to get your paycheck back up.

D-0

Why just last week, in order to save an ontime departure, I had the boarding door closed, released and reset the parking brake. Then I had the catering steps brought over and we boarded everybody through the galley/service door.

Part of my compensation is based on performance numbers.

Seems to me that most of the time the rampies are giving the "release brake" hand signal within seconds of getting the door closed anways....especially at the hubs. We were told that a fellow UAX company had been spying on us IE guys in jumpseats were telling of ACARS tricks and stuff like that. Since then UAL has been looking hard at this stuff and one thing that they are looking at is the time that the ACARS call it out and the "ACARS TRIGGER TIME" and they are having the guys with clipboards watch too. On a side note has anyone else noticed that the attitude of the rampies have gone downhill since the times started getting called this way.

I used to love it on the F gates in ORD when the rampers would give the release brake signal and then they would all disappear for about 20 minutes.

Not to defend UAL here, but the problem might be that the DOT may be looking at taxi times as a way of reducing flights due to congestion out of busy airports. (ORD) The traveling public is concerned about long ramp delays and UAL should be concerned that it might put more pressure on them to reduce flights. It's better to blame it on the ramp than cancel flights. They can fix ramp staffing issues, but they can't change the capacity of the airport.

As to the pay issue, UAL doesn't give a %&%$# about your contract with Skywest. They are playing the numbers game.

I try...

It sucks sometimes, but I try my best to play by the rules. I was audited already, and nothing came of it because I do everything SOP. Fine. Whatever.

The one thing that I find really frustrating is that they want us to call for push BEFORE releasing the brake. However, when you call for push, the ramp or ground controllers assume you're ready for push and expect you to get moving. If you're not brakes released and loaded up on the tug, you're not ready to push, period.

I've been barked at a couple times after calling for push, then releasing the brake, while the ramp guys try to get the plane hooked up and ready to go. Meanwhile, the ramp control is wondering why we haven't moved yet. It's stupid.

Just as aggravating is that it affects the on time performance, and my quarterly bonus check is smaller.

I wil say that for those who do play by the rules, the MST times are much, much harder to meet.

Last edited:
Or it might be that UAL wants to dump some feed and they need a legitimate reason for an express carrier to default on their contract.

What was Delta's reason for nixing MESA?

Just something to consider. I have no idea what the contract states.

Or it might be that UAL wants to dump some feed and they need a legitimate reason for an express carrier to default on their contract.

What was Delta's reason for nixing MESA?

Just something to consider. I have no idea what the contract states.

There could be more truth here than any of the other ideas posted.

I've read/heard/observed speculation from many sources that doesn't paint an optimistic picture for UAL in the next few months.

Latest resources

Back