• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How bout it!!! Amen Kaman!!

Kaman said:
Hello,
This bickering about this airline or that airline underbidding, undercutting or otherwise sabotaging another person's career because of it is a load of bull. It is a competitive industry, and we live in a capitalist society. So, please don't get on soapbox extoling the virtues of XYZ company and how ABC company is screwing me. It is an absurd argument.
Another thing about the Colgan bashing, and the fatal accident in particular is the attitude that it was a malicious, pre-meditated act to intentionally place a crew in harm's way. Another absurd, if not irresponsible argument. Why did it happen? The same way I've seen it happen in the military. Trust me, I've been there and done that as a crewmember in a Class "A" mishap. I've also had freinds killed flying in both the military and civilian sector. It's the most devastating thing I've experienced. BUT, we do their memories no good by name-calling, finger-pointing or speculation based on hearsay.
Some of you, in fact most of you use some pretty narrow, rose-colored glasses to view the industry and forget about the troubling past of what are considered to be the carriers that are industry leaders in safety, operations and reliability. Let me cite some examples for you:

AA ORD DC-10 crashed due to improper and unapproved maintenance practices. Using a forklift to hang a QEC.

Alaska Airlines MD-80 crashed at-sea due to faulty maintenance on a stab. trim actuator.

These are just two examples, and there are many, many more. Research it, and read how many of the majors have been fined. It ain't pretty.
Look, I am not a Colgan "homer", but I do work here and I am happy to be doing so. Does the company have problems? Yes, and 99% of the people are working hard to eliminate them and get on with staying in business, being competitive and making money. At the same time I am also disgusted by people bashing Mesa for being a "bottom-feeder". Well, how many times have you jumpseated and had the Captain personally bring your flight kit from the baggage compartment and put it up front, so that the W&B would be legal and I could stay on? Thank you to all the Mesa, Indy, Air Wisky, Shuttle America, CHQ, PDT and mainline crews. Your kindness and courtesy I appreciate and respect.
The woe is me about how this company sucks and that company blows is just so juvenile. Half these whining kids pretending to be airline pilots have no idea of what it takes to pay your dues, keep the faith with your peers and at least pretend to have some discipline. to those of you that do, I applaud your dedication and professionalism. Keep the press on! You'll make it.
The more this attitude continues, the more that the airline executives will just love us, because we have become our own worst enemies. Appreciate what you have, it might be gone tommorow. If any of you want to discuss this and know my real identity, PM me...
Lastly, to the Colgan crews out there. I have enjoyed just about every second of flying the mighty Beech across New England, Appalachia and the Alleghenys. One couldn't find a greater bunch of people to fly with. I've learned so much and am grateful to the Captains that put up with and allowed me to make mistakes.
Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

AMEN Brother!!! I have had enuff too.

happy holidays

Prop2Jet,
What the hell is up with the 6 page post? Do you think anyone actually read that. You are such geek. I am number 2 at my base how about you? LoL loser. Lick my stick. Hey seriously though when can I sleep with your wife again? Ask her for me thanks.
-Dee Dow

Not that Eagle didn't/doesn't hire below the published minimums depending on where you are from. I'm sure IHF that you are God's gift to the RJ.

I was just given sympathies again for working at colgan from an ex colgan pilot who is still sitting in the right seat after three years in a shiny RJ. Maybe things have gotten better cuz i just don't see what is so bad about it.

Kaman
The procedure used by American was approved by the companies own Engineers although they never recieved blessing from McD. it was used all DC10 operators inlcuding Continental and others the problem as noted in the report, was during the shift change the forklift leaked down causing the fitting to crack!! and no one recognized it. Maintenance can only do to the planes what management allows. Many of us dont particularly care to be told dont worry about it, but then like you we have family to feed!! I have many friends working for colgan and respect what they try to do within the limits put on them by the colgan family!! If Mechs had there way with the machines they would be sent on there way everyday as shiny repaired and cleaned as the time would allow but thats not realistic

saab fixr said:
Kaman
The procedure used by American was approved by the companies own Engineers although they never recieved blessing from McD. it was used all DC10 operators inlcuding Continental and others the problem as noted in the report, was during the shift change the forklift leaked down causing the fitting to crack!! and no one recognized it. Maintenance can only do to the planes what management allows. Many of us dont particularly care to be told dont worry about it, but then like you we have family to feed!! I have many friends working for colgan and respect what they try to do within the limits put on them by the colgan family!! If Mechs had there way with the machines they would be sent on there way everyday as shiny repaired and cleaned as the time would allow but thats not realistic

True, So are you saying that there are maintenance issues at Colgan that make it unsafe? How about compared to other airlines?

Maintenance at all comuters have always left alot to be desired I for one have worked at a few including MROs doing Heavy checks and its scarey the crap you see. Makes ya wonder where the Hell is QA? or is that just some stupid postion put in place to satisfy the feds. I know people would love to throw the ole report them and the response would be Go Ahead and then apply to Walmart cause your days of working or flying planes is over !!

Latest resources

Back