What is wrong with Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

Pilots of other airlines are always trying to extend their sympathy for me working at Colgan. I dont' get it cuz I am having a good experience.

1. I am home everynight
2. I have many days off
3. I never sat reserve and fly many hours a month
4. The bases are great to work at because you don't spend anytime in commute or going through security
5. The people are cool

Most of my friends at other airlines sat reserve for 6-12 months

OK here comes the onslaught!

Last edited:
dont forget that while other companies are showing signs of furloughs and cutbacks and possible pay cuts Colgan is expanding in a market that people are leaving behind. Colgan is in a very good position and Saab 2000 rumor was explained to me by someone at the Washington FSDO. So even the FAA seems to think something. While your friends are sitting at the bottom of the FNG list of FO's waiting on reserve or for their furlough number you are flying. Getting hours and not sitting reserve and probably going over guarantee. Doing more challenging flying. You will be Captain when they might be starting over at a different jet regional. Every place has its good and bad points. We are all in the same business. The pilots and crews cant do anything to make the industry do better or worse. All we can do is act professional and do the best job we can regardless of the logo on the tail. Some of us have been fortunate. I went from intro flight to 121 Captain in less than 5 years and did it all Part 61. Others caught some bad breaks and have either moved sideways or backwards a few times while spending a fortune at some year long aviation program. In the end we all do the best we can. If you have any integrity you will support the company who signs your check and do the best you can do. If a person doesnt like where they are they can move on. I worked at a career for 15 years and didnt like it so I moved on and started flying. So nobody can tell me it isnt easy to do. I lived it. Enjoy Colgan and do your best especially if you are sitting right seat from me. It isnt a career but there are worse jobs to do.

how much shuttle time you got? How much TTPIC did you have when you interviewed at NASA?

For me I love it! Good for me, maybe not all, but for me I love it! If you put it in perspective, scheduling and stuff, its a great place to be!

suupah said:
Pilots of other airlines are always trying to extend their sympathy for me working at Colgan. I dont' get it cuz I am having a good experience.

1. I am home everynight
2. I have many days off
4. The bases are great to work at because you don't spend anytime in commute or going through security
5. The people are cool

Colgan

suupah said:

1. I am home everynight
2. I have many days off
5. The people are cool

Colgan has worked out for me as well. I see no problems. I just dust the haters off!!!!

Many of us sympathize with pilot who are poorly paid. Kinda like...been there done that. We know what it's like. We also sympathize because we've heard stories about your management. And ever worse the MX. It's already killed 2 pilots.

Over all I've enjoyed ever Colgan guy I've ever met. I've met some real douches from Mesa or CHQ, but the Colgan group is stand up! Sometimes people confuse us bashing a company with bashing the employees. In most cases people are bashing Colgan but not the folks that work there.

It's just a shame the conditions you guys have to work under. Union maybe?

I have to weigh in on this now...

I have been at Colgan for over 6 years now and the more I look at the current world and industry the more it makes me think. I came to the conclusion that the world (our beloved airline industry) is no where near perfect, including Colgan but I really can't complain. I'm still not happy with the results of the accident that took Scott and Steve away from us. But things have slowly gotten better at Colgan. Yes, Maintenance is the achilles heel here and needs the most work for improvement. But considering that there has been a major changing of the MX management guard here I have seen some improvement thanks in part to the Feds keeping a constant vigil.
Once the new MX hangar is in place at Manassas, I think there will be major improvements in MX. I really don't know how the Continental side is going but I have seen the United side have a few growing pains but for the most part, ops is going pretty well right now. The company is growing and will continue to do so. But like all things, I will take it with a grain of salt. The lure of moving up is great and tempting but right now the grass is still a little brown on the other side with this industry. For now, I will be content in hanging out and do my part. Sure beats the alternative....Walmart or Mickey D's plus I'm too young to sit in a Fed desk job. I will turn 45 in 3 years and I'm no spring chicken anymore. This so called career thing Colgan is turning about to be not so bad now. OK pay (so what if I'm not making 75K the pay is comparable to the industry), much improved insurance (Colgan just implemented short/long term disability, Whole Life Insurance, critical care insurance), travel bennies in line with other carriers, comparable schedules, 13-15 average days off, 3 weeks vacation, Top seniority, and the chance to be home every night with family. I'm very lucky to be flying right now in a not so perfect world.

We have a great bunch of folks that work here at Colgan and we are no different than anyone else in this business. We do our best to treat other airline employees with the same respect and friendliness that we treat ourselves with. We welcome jumpseaters from all carriers even if you are not on the CASS list or our list. I am one of many here trying to change that Colgan image for the better. Yep, the past was the past and we can all look at it and learn. Let's look to the future and thank God that we can still fly when many of our fellow brothers and sisters can't. Peace out and happy holidays from the Godfather.

Godfather,

I HAD all of that before you guys underbid us by 40% in IAH with the promise of bigger turboprops. Then we had to watch you guys come in and butcher what we had taken two years to create in a matter of weeks. What is your on-time and completion rate this week? While I don't begrude you personally, I am not a true fan of the Colganization of my own company...sorry.

Mookie

mckpickle said:
We also sympathize because we've heard stories about your management. And ever worse the MX. It's already killed 2 pilots.

Pickle the problem with colgan is not Maint. Your an @$$.Why don't you go to the hangar one night and watch those guys work. I see bashing alot on the maint. dept and how MEL's don't get worked unless its a drop dead. Thats crap. Those folks work there hearts out and don't get parts untill its an AOG. There are few parts on the shelf and if they order 100 so we they don't run out soon they ship them 2. As for the Maint. Dept. killing those men......there is more to it. just ask them. As for Houston maint, its a group of good guys and they do superb maint. with the expirience and toolong available. Without parts there hands are tied. Got to wait for the right parts for the right job. Bite me

Latest resources

Back