Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is up with not wearing full uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kevdog said:
...and how do you know these guys are "major" airline pilots? besides jetblue and ups, it's sorta hard to tell by a white shirt.

Umm gee, it might have something to do with the "Northwest" logo embroidered on the guys rollerbag or the "United" crew tag dangling from it..

This is my point, EVERYONE makes these guys out to be a pilot. Removing small parts of the uniform (epaulets) just doesn't do it.

I find it amazing that so many pilots on this board don't want to help the customers who are paying their salaries. I commute offline in uniform all the time because it is easier for all the reasons mentioned above. I rarely get asked questions. If I do, I feel privileged to help another traveler who may not be as experienced in the airport as I am. Is it really that much of an imposition on your precious time to answer a few innocent questions?

AnimalTale said:
You are a bit anal, dont u think?

My curiousity is killing me, Why do we have so many ANAL tools in this industry? Why do you give a rats A$$ about a pilot not wearing his "FULL" uniform.

Cya

Because it tarnishes the ENTIRE industry even more than it already is. Pilots have dropped to the level of servant in the public's eyes. This image is enhanced by a "professional" pilot looking like a slob. Either wear the full uniform and have some pride or ditch the whole thing.

Seat 0A said:
Because it tarnishes the ENTIRE industry even more than it already is. Pilots have dropped to the level of servant in the public's eyes. This image is enhanced by a "professional" pilot looking like a slob. Either wear the full uniform and have some pride or ditch the whole thing.

Fellas, I'm not anal at all, but I do tend to agree with this statement. It CAN be all about the image to the uninitiated sometimes (meaning the travelling public). And these days we can use all the public support we can get. We want them thinking of us as highly as possible, and I do think being in full uniform can help that.

dgs said:
I find it amazing that so many pilots on this board don't want to help the customers who are paying their salaries. I commute offline in uniform all the time because it is easier for all the reasons mentioned above. I rarely get asked questions. If I do, I feel privileged to help another traveler who may not be as experienced in the airport as I am. Is it really that much of an imposition on your precious time to answer a few innocent questions?

They are not paying our salaries during our off time and based on the lack of earnings for most airlines, including yours, they are not paying our salaries during our on time either. I find it amazing that many pilots on this board want to help the customers who are not paying our salaries. You will figure this out sooner or later.

Thanks dgs and Magnum, this is really the kind of response I expected from the airline guys and gals. I believe it may be a minority that don't care about image (being off-duty has nothing to do with this). Most are true professionals.....hat and all, and I have a lot of respect for them.

800Dog said:
They are not paying our salaries during our off time and based on the lack of earnings for most airlines, including yours, they are not paying our salaries during our on time either. I find it amazing that many pilots on this board want to help the customers who are not paying our salaries. You will figure this out sooner or later.

Translation: Screw all the passengers because our airline is losing money. Brilliant!

"help the customers" is generally a good idea in any business. Maybe YOU will figure this out sooner or later.

BTW, when I'm commuting offline I don't mind helping your customers who are paying your salaries. It doesn't matter if you are "on the clock" or not. These are the people who paid your company to fly on your airplanes! It's called basic human decency and caring for your fellow "man." If it was your mom, dad, sister, or kid, wouldn't you appreciate somebody helping them out if they were in need of some help? That's why I enjoy flying people instead of boxes. The people we hauled today were thrilled with their JetBlue experience as they exited the aircraft. There's a lot to be said for that kind of positive feedback.

Seat 0A said:
Translation: Screw all the passengers because our airline is losing money. Brilliant!

"help the customers" is generally a good idea in any business. Maybe YOU will figure this out sooner or later.

When passengers are paying 200 bucks to fly coast to coast, they get what they pay for! Walmart employees never help me but, they make billions! Wise up. Point A to B safely is all they should expect sport.

I generally drop my trousers and pull off my shirt ASAP and then curl up into a little ball in my boxer shorts and white T-shirt and black socks while sitting in first class. I also sometimes fart and scratch whereever it itches. I can usually get both seats to myself this way, even if there was another passenger next to me initially.

If this doesn't get me a seat to myself I just tell them I flew the F-16. Either way--folks will then avoid you and leave you alone.

Latest resources

Back