Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is up with not wearing full uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...and how do you know these guys are "major" airline pilots? besides jetblue and ups, it's sorta hard to tell by a white shirt.

Seat 0A said:
This may sound like an attack but it really isn't.

as though you can't sniff out a frac pilot from a 100 yards away...:rolleyes:

do you wear your uniform to Xmas parties too?

Seat 0A said:
My curiosity is killing me. I can't help but snicker everytime I see "professionals" doing this.

You are a bit anal, dont u think?

My curiousity is killing me, Why do we have so many ANAL tools in this industry? Why do you give a rats A$$ about a pilot not wearing his "FULL" uniform.

Cya

kevdog said:
First of all, if you take off your pilot garb you can hit the bar in the terminal. The happy FAs will be happy to give you drinks on your flight, and every 5 year old won't look at you and want to ask you questions. The first 2 are more important than the latter, but I have never been asked a question while sitting in the terminal out of uniform. I don't care if people still know I am a pilot or not but it might not be that obvious. At least people don't think you work for whatever airline you are on and ask you non-stop questions.

The dorkiest looking pilots are the 21 year old Gulfstream PFT guys who are in heaven being able to board an aircraft for free. They always seem nervous and don't know where to put their bag and flight case. They also don't seem to introduce themselves to the crew very often. Always cracks me up.

SHACK!

In December I was in the Tokyo main train station, looking for the bullet train to Osaka that I had reserved a seat on.

No english signs anywhere to be found - not even the train numbers. I was panicking - 5 minutes to departure.

Just then this old Japanese train conductor walked by in full uniform, hat and all. I shanghaied him into giving me directions.

It's karma, man.....

Seat 0A said:
This may sound like an attack but it really isn't. I am simply curious. I see an overwhelming number of "major" airline pilots in terminals walking around without their epaulets and ties on. Does this allow you to get away with not wearing a hat or something? (I fly fracs and we are required to wear the full uniform or else be in civies.)

First of all it looks tacky. Do you think people will not recognize you are a crewmember and therefore will not ask you stupid questions?

For the record it is quite easy to tell you are a pilot by looking at your polyester pants that are hemmed too short, your shirt with epaulet straps, the sunglasses in your pocket, and that bag you are pulling that has "757" stickers all over it.

Second, do you folks have a policy in effect to be either "in" or "out" of uniform.

My curiosity is killing me. I can't help but snicker everytime I see "professionals" doing this.

Rob Coulter??

Gotta agree with 4fanman on this one. I always keep a big ol' grey sweatshirt with me that fits quite nicely over my monkey suit. Creates quite the trendy Walmart ensemble for those off-the-clock hours spent among the huddled masses. Of course other pilots could easily pick me out, but those who can't find the bathroom, baggage claim, taxi stand, gate __, etc... generally can't.
What I can't understand is those tools out there who are travelling in civies and wear their ID's anyway. What's with that? Talk about needing a hobby! You're off, man! Give it a rest!

-Blucher:D

I commute, mainly offline, and I'm always in uniform. It makes it easier to get through security, sit in First if a seat becomes available, sit in 1W if nothings open in the back, and wearing it allows me to pack a lighter bag. But I occasionally pull the shoulder boards and wings off at the end of a commute, and I ain't a gonna change to impress you. Sorry.

BTW, this here's a great reason to wear a leather jacket. I can remove the shoulder boards and wings in about thirty seconds. If I wore a blazer style Captains jacket, I'd still have those stripes around my wrists.

Seriously, seat0A, is this the best topic you could dream up?

e

This seems to have touched a nerve. However, I fly for a major and agree with the original post. I have no problem with guys doing, it just looks stupid. I don't see a guy wearing the no-epaulet get up and think "unprofessional" or anything like that...I just think "he looks like a dork" and don't waste any more time on it.

I grab some stuff out of my bag and change. Maybe that makes me more of a dork than the other guys though!:D

Latest resources

Back