Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is up with not wearing full uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dgs said:
BTW, when I'm commuting offline I don't mind helping your customers who are paying your salaries. It doesn't matter if you are "on the clock" or not. These are the people who paid your company to fly on your airplanes! It's called basic human decency and caring for your fellow "man." If it was your mom, dad, sister, or kid, wouldn't you appreciate somebody helping them out if they were in need of some help? That's why I enjoy flying people instead of boxes. The people we hauled today were thrilled with their JetBlue experience as they exited the aircraft. There's a lot to be said for that kind of positive feedback.

And yet Jetblue still lost money. My Mom, Dad, Sister and Kid take care of themselves. Something we call personal responsibility. By the way, the boxes make a profit!!

After my first line check wth the asst chief pilot we took off our boards, ties, and wings and debriefed over a beer in the Hong Kong terminal. I thought it was great. If the public can even recognize us, which is pretty doubtful, then they would probably understand and accept that we are human too. It IS our off time and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

I like passengers and will always be there to help, answer questions, etc, but if I am off and want a drink I want to do it easily and without any harm done to the company. This process seems to work.

Always cracks me up when I see pilots eating in a restaraunt at least 5 miles from the nearest airport in all their garb ...as if they couldn't take off the epaulets, tie, and tacky metal wings before going in. It's usually a young pair of guys from a small airline. I also saw a guy in a Target store in full regalia. He looked very silly but I think he thought he looked pretty cool to all the bored housewives...but I think even they knew he was a dork.

Mach 80 said:
Always cracks me up when I see pilots eating in a restaraunt at least 5 miles from the nearest airport in all their garb ...as if they couldn't take off the epaulets, tie, and tacky metal wings before going in. It's usually a young pair of guys from a small airline. I also saw a guy in a Target store in full regalia. He looked very silly but I think he thought he looked pretty cool to all the bored housewives...but I think even they knew he was a dork.

Funny, but the salaries are so low that pilots have to shop at Target. By the way, Target is owned by the French.

At least the French workers stand up for themselves.

Bjammin said:
If the public can even recognize us, which is pretty doubtful, then they would probably understand and accept that we are human too. It IS our off time and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

As much as your comment makes common sense, the day is not far off when Geraldo will expose, via hidden camera, the airlines "dark secr3et they don't want you to know about." Airline pilots "disguising" themselves by removing parts of their uniform and drinking alcohol ... in the very airport from which they fly, surrounded by inocent passengers! The media will jump on it, the public will jump on it, and management will jump on it. Do us all a favor: take off the tie, throw on a sweatshirt and take a cab to the strip club down the street.

Seat 0A said:
I can't help but snicker everytime I see "professionals" doing this.

Snicker? Only little girls snicker.

Seat 0A said:
I can't help but snicker everytime I see "professionals" doing this.

I can't help but snicker when I see some a$$clown crawl out of a learjet with a freakin' Captain's hat that he bought at Sporty's on.

Last edited:
Seat 0A said:
Because it tarnishes the ENTIRE industry even more than it already is. Pilots have dropped to the level of servant in the public's eyes. This image is enhanced by a "professional" pilot looking like a slob. Either wear the full uniform and have some pride or ditch the whole thing.

Dude you are a dork and a moron for starting this thread, do you have a uniform cop that follows you to see if you are wearing your full uniform? It sounds like you work for CS? They have way too much time on their hands if they have the time to watch every pilot with a uniform cop. I also work for a Frac, and if you look at my aircraft that I have listed in my profile, you can figure out which frac I fly for, I also commute in my uniform, but I leave off the tie, I keep the epaulets on, and no tie or blazer, gets me through security faster and I can take more than 2 bags on board with no problem but the tie stays off, the other reason that I wear it is for the fact that after I get to my destination, there is always the chance that you might have to fly versus going to the hotel, if I already have my uniform on, I just have to slap on the tie and go, makes life much easier.

Get a life dude, there are way more important things to worry about than what pilots wear when they commute

Last edited:
batsky2000 said:
I also work for a Frac, and if you look at my aircraft that I have listed in my profile, you can figure out which frac I fly for, I also commute in my uniform, but I leave off the tie, I keep the epaulets on, and no tie or blazer, gets me through security faster and I can take more than 2 bags on board with no problem but the tie stays off, the other reason that I wear it is for the fact that after I get to my destination, there is always the chance that you might have to fly versus going to the hotel, if I already have my uniform on, I just have to slap on the tie and go, makes life much easier.

Why not just leave the tie on? Or don't your shirts fit? The top button of a uniform shirt is supposed to be buttoned--with the tie on. Remember how you looked in your navy blue suit for your NJI interview? I bet that top button was indeed just that--buttoned.

SCR

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back