Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is up with not wearing full uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UEJ500 said:
The U.S. economy is much better than france, they are having major immigration problems and in 10 years have no middle class workers to do the work that the great french workers, who stand up for themselves, wont do. Great country, wish we could take style lessons from them, then we could all wear berets and be more interested in what each other wear.
This has a lot to do with pilots not wearing their full uniform while commuting. You guys sound like french people who care what others wear.

I do agree with the original question. First off, if you want to be paid like a professional, look and act like one. Second, by wearing just the shirt without epaulets, total dork look. Why not get the pocket protector to add to the nerd look. Third, I remember years ago (pre 9/11) a passenger asked a FA a question while in the terminal, the FAs response " sorry 'mam, but I am off the clock". You should have seen the passengers faces. Fourth, like someone else said, what if it was your 80 year old grandmother, or 16 year old kid. Not everyone is airport savy. Lastly, we all laugh at the SWA trailer trash passengers, is that the look you are going for. Maybe we should help set the standard.

As far as your analogy with cops.....disagree. We have all seen cops break the law (speed, run stop signs) only to give us tickets for the very same thing. They/we should be setting the example.

yeah ..you pick up their trash when they get off the plane in full uniform..tie and all

if it can't be picked up by a dustbuster the plane goes into mx for a full detail. Most owners, pick up after themselves and just put the catering away in the trash. No big deal.

I certainly hope the cops in my city don't drink on duty. That's a fireable offense in any city, and in no way makes this cop "cool," just like weaing no tie and taking off your epaulets makes you "cool" among the pilot crowd.

A cop drinking on duty should be fired. A pilot in half uniform just looks like a dork.

The U.S. economy is much better than france, they are having major immigration problems and in 10 years have no middle class workers to do the work that the great french workers, who stand up for themselves, wont do.

Don't worry the USA will be following right behind France because no one has the balls to solve OUR immigration problem either.

and by the way.

When I have jumpseaters ride on my aircraft I would rather them not wear their full uniform because I would want the passengers to know who the crew is and isn't. I try not to jumpseat with my monkey shirt showing but I completely understand when someone does.

Your off time is your off time, passengers couldn't care less only airline newbies still impressed with themselves do.

MAGNUM!! said:
I certainly hope the cops in my city don't drink on duty. That's a fireable offense in any city, and in no way makes this cop "cool," just like weaing no tie and taking off your epaulets makes you "cool" among the pilot crowd.

A pilot in half uniform just looks like a dork.

I agree, but I'll add a pilot in full uniform looks just as much like a dork.

Purple Promisee said:
Were you dressed as the construction worker, cowboy, or indian chief?

Now that was funny!:laugh: You forgot the biker. Sadly I was dressed as an underpaid airline pilot, off duty and out of uniform. Speaking of those guys, did you catch on the Colbert Report that the "cop" of the Village People was arrested the other day? I think it was a drug charge, but don't remember for sure.

-Blucher:D

Sat down the other day at my local bar in the city. It was st. Pattys.

Watched a man drink a shot of whisky ( i hate the stuff couldn't even touch it) then have a beer and eat his sandwich.

Then he put his hat back on and went out for patrol. Yup a cop.

Later that night there were hundreds of firefighters and cops drinking at all the bars around my apartment. These are cop and firefighter hangouts so seeing them drink in uniform is not out of the ordinary.

MAGNUM!! said:

A cop drinking on duty should be fired. A pilot in half uniform just looks like a dork.

Never said he was "cool," said he was a nice guy. Bottom line is we all need to take responsibility for ourselves. It ain't a perfect world and the only one you really have control over is yourself. And for the record, I agree on both counts. A cop braking the law, any law, should be punished appropriately, and a pilot in half uniform does indeed look like a dork.

-Blucher;)

Latest resources

Back