Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is up with not wearing full uniform?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
I certainly hope the cops in my city don't drink on duty. That's a fireable offense in any city, and in no way makes this cop "cool," just like weaing no tie and taking off your epaulets makes you "cool" among the pilot crowd.

A cop drinking on duty should be fired. A pilot in half uniform just looks like a dork.

guess what? so do fighter pilots, but dont tell

atafan said:
Don't worry the USA will be following right behind France because no one has the balls to solve OUR immigration problem either.

If congress gives amnesty to the 12MILLION (that's a conservative estimate) illegal aliens in this country, that will essentially be adding a state that bigger than 44 of the states in the union......

Absolute INSULT to anyone waiting to come into this country legally.

Seat 0A said:
Jeez, talk about thread "bickering". Actually I tip the line guy to clean the cabin. And I am reimbursed for ALL tips. Another myth shot down.

Heaven forbid you do it yourself! You might soil your uniform.

Seat 0A said:
I see an overwhelming number of "major" airline pilots in terminals walking around without their epaulets and ties on. Does this allow you to get away with not wearing a hat or something? (I fly fracs and we are required to wear the full uniform or else be in civies.)

They are probably wannabes like yourself that just dress like so you with little knowledge would think they are pilots. Most of the RJ guys have more stickers on their bags than knowledge in their heads. It is amazing to see an RJ guy with stickers for airplanes and places there is no chance he could have flown or been.

Now make sure you have the papers lined up and the catering is set up for Mr. Big in your beezjet.

Wal-mart is still giving certificates and type ratings to anyone! To be a professional or not to be, that is the question!

As a commuter, I prefer to j/s in civies for all the reasons stated above. However, sometimes I just got off work and I don't have time to change.
If this is the case, If I'm riding on my own airline, I'll usually stay in full uniform and behave like an additional crew member. If I'm on another airline, especially one whose policies, aircraft, etc I am not totally not familiar with, I will at least "strip" my uniform for two very important reasons:

1. If I accidentally walk by a passenger who could use a hand, I won't be mistaken for an inattentive crew member and possibly a source for complaint.

2. In case of some kind of emergency, I don't want passengers to look to me for guidance in case I am infamiliar. Certainly, I will help out if it's obvious what needs to be done, but I may not...

Another good reason to de-identify yourself is out of respect to the crew working the flight. It may seem obvious to other pilots, but very few passengers seem to recognize a "stripped" crew uniform...

Hope this helps.

I go to great lengths NEVER to be seen in public wearing the sea captain's uniform. I don't want people's first impression to be based on what I do for a living. With very limited exception I don't disclose what I do or where I work.

Just my opinion but the whole concept, for pax or freight, is very silly. Why do we wear a costume to begin with? There are plenty of "professions" that have similar earnings and responsibility that never wear a uniform and they seem to get along quite nicely, with or without customer contact. The whole culture needs to change.

Maybe the Ultra LCC's can lead the way and decide that Captain Steubing uniforms are too expensive and go to khakis and golf shirts.

Latest resources

Back