What is the type rating of a B-717?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly-By-Cable said:
Honeywell includes both the MD-11 and the 717 in the same FMS book, along with the MD-10. Guess that'd take a few days off of groundschool, or at least allow more time to study the systems. :)

Okay, you guys are actually flying this or similar equipment, so what do I know. But when I want to see which models are covered by which type ratings, I look at Appendix 2 to AC 61-89E (available online through FAA website). As I read that Appendix and the "comment" that also appears on the website, the B-717 is a separate type rating from the DC-9. The entry on the chart is actually "B-17", but the "comment" clarifies that "B-17" is a typo and should be "B-717". Moreover, B-717 is not listed on the chart (Appendix 2) as being among models covered by DC-9 type. Maybe somebody else can check out the chart and the comment. I have used the chart to confirm which models are covered by my CE-500 type. Anyway, as I said, you guys are flying similar equipment as the 717. I'm not, but just thought I'd pass along my reading of AC 61-89E, Appendix 2. Being a lawyer and all. Regards to all.

lawfly said:
Okay, you guys are actually flying this or similar equipment, so what do I know. But when I want to see which models are covered by which type ratings, I look at Appendix 2 to AC 61-89E (available online through FAA website). As I read that Appendix and the "comment" that also appears on the website, the B-717 is a separate type rating from the DC-9. The entry on the chart is actually "B-17", but the "comment" clarifies that "B-17" is a typo and should be "B-717". Moreover, B-717 is not listed on the chart (Appendix 2) as being among models covered by DC-9 type. Maybe somebody else can check out the chart and the comment. I have used the chart to confirm which models are covered by my CE-500 type. Anyway, as I said, you guys are flying similar equipment as the 717. I'm not, but just thought I'd pass along my reading of AC 61-89E, Appendix 2. Being a lawyer and all. Regards to all.
That sounds right to my understanding.

The B717-200 is Type Certificated as a DC-9 family member, but does not have the same Type Rating. I thought that you had to have a separate Type Rating for the MD-80 as well, but I could be off on that.

This is similar to the situation with the 767-400 in DAL configuration is NOT included in the 757/767 Type Rating for the pilots, but IS included on a DAL pilot's 777 Type Rating. The difference between the two however is that on the B717-200 differences training I don't believe is acceptable for transition to a B717-200 type rating whereas a person holding a normal 777 Type Rating only needs diferences training to be able to add the DAL 764 to their rating. I specify DAL since COA put a 757/767-style cockpit in their aircraft instead of the 777-style 'pit DAL chose.

Speaking of the MD-10, it's Type Certificated as a DC-10 derivative, but a DC-10 captain can't fly it because it's not Type Rated the same. The MD-10 is carried on the MD-11 Type Certificate with differences training (or at least that's what the MD-10 Captain I asked told me on the Diff. Trng. part).

Just don't forget that once an F/O has passed his 100 hours in type and has ground school, he can technically fly either the DC-9, MD-80 or the B717 without problem, it's just the Captain that has to either hold multiple Type Ratings or be trained in one or the other.

The B717 IS a DC9 Type, trust me I have a Type in my pocket that says DC9, and I have never flown the DC9 in any form other than the B717. The B717-200, DC9-10/50 and all MD 80's are the same Type with differences training. But yes I know they seem to have nothing in common, and you would be very right on most levels. The B717, DC9-10/50 and the MD80's should be three different types, butit is strange what the FAA will and won't do.

FLB717 said:
The B717 IS a DC9 Type, trust me I have a Type in my pocket that says DC9, and I have never flown the DC9 in any form other than the B717.
Well then I believe CONGRATULATIONS are in order!! I take it that you must have taken your checkride recently, and I'm willing to bet you're still hung over. Who did your ride? Well you don't have me clogging up the 717 seniority list for you, I'm off to the 737. Enjoy being out of training!

As far as the the posters question about type ratings... I don't know what to say as well, except what is on my pilots certificate. My type rating as a B-717 Captain (as well as all Captains on the DC-9XX Series, MD-8X Series, MD-9X Series) ALL simply say DC-9 on your Pilot Certificate. You ARE required differences training to operate each one however.

In all actuality, it is no different than having a 737 Type rating that covers a 737-200 all the way thru the 737-800. Its all one type rating as well with differences training.

Last edited:
Well, you guys certainly answered my original question...thanks...I guess the real question now is will having a DC-9 and 737 type get me any closer to getting an interview at AirTran?

You need to clean your ears.

DrRaptor said:
That sounds right to my understanding.

The B717-200 is Type Certificated as a DC-9 family member, but does not have the same Type Rating. I thought that you had to have a separate Type Rating for the MD-80 as well, but I could be off on that.

This is similar to the situation with the 767-400 in DAL configuration is NOT included in the 757/767 Type Rating for the pilots, but IS included on a DAL pilot's 777 Type Rating. The difference between the two however is that on the B717-200 differences training I don't believe is acceptable for transition to a B717-200 type rating whereas a person holding a normal 777 Type Rating only needs diferences training to be able to add the DAL 764 to their rating. I specify DAL since COA put a 757/767-style cockpit in their aircraft instead of the 777-style 'pit DAL chose.
The DC-9 type rating covers the DC-9, MD-80 series, MD-90 and B-717 series. Type ratings are for pilots, and Type Certificate Data Sheet's are for aircraft certification.

The B-767-400 is covered under the B-767 type rating. The B-757 and B-767 are 2 seperate type ratings but issued together due to the similaties in the aircraft. The B-767-400 is in no way connected to the B-777 type rating. There are not 2 different configurations of the B-767-400, for DAL and COA, only one. Delta choose to make the -400 a different pilot category for payrate reasons. As far as what training at an airline is required to move from one aircraft to another does not depend on what type rating it falls under or what it is similiar to, but rather the training sylabus must be approved by the FAA. So therefore it can be differerent at each and every airline.

FL717,
Thank you it is a wonderful thing.

FBC
Takes one to know one....hows YOUR liver?

Latest resources

Back