What is the type rating of a B-717?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Daddy

A DC-9 is a DC-9 type, but so is any MD-80, 83, 90 etc aircraft...does anyone know if a B-717 still carries the DC-9 type rating like the MD-80 series or is it a whole new one?

It's a DC-9 type...and yes, you have to use a mirror to see the standby mag compass

Steeler Fan said:
It's a DC-9 type...and yes, you have to use a mirror to see the standby mag compass
Do ya have to open the crossbleed valves to get anti-ice?

I thought that I read somewhere that you do.

It's hard to believe that McBoeing couldn't find a way around the mechanical pneumatic crossbleed valves.

enigma

The DC9 and the 717 are two totally different animals, yet they both carry the same type rating. I've always wondered how much corporate pressure was put on the FAA to allow this. The airplanes are night and day different. Whereas the DC9 is a haphazard layout of antiquated systems and round dials; the 717 is state of the art all glass Liquid Crystal Display systems using just about every new form of technology available and with new de-rateable very powerful engines. Training Dept. likes to say that it would take (3) DC9 engines to equal the power of (2) 717 engines.

Put it to you this way...if a DC9 pilot walked into the sim of a 717, he would be hopelessly lost...and vice versa.

Back when you flew -9's (can't remember if you still have any), was going back and forth on the line difficult? I'm thinking its probably like the WN guys flying all the 737 types.

ILStoMinimums said:
Back when you flew -9's (can't remember if you still have any), was going back and forth on the line difficult? I'm thinking its probably like the WN guys flying all the 737 types.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they were flown as two seperate fleet types.

They do not have the mechanical pneumatic crossfeed valves like the -9.

We have always operated them as two separate fleets. Although not technically required, it is definitely a smart move.

enigma said:
Do ya have to open the crossbleed valves to get anti-ice?

enigma
No. There is no crossfeed valves on the 717 pedestal like we had on the DC-9. There is an isolation valve that must be "Open" while starting the left engine. It is a switch on the overhead panel. After the left engine start, the switch is placed in "Auto" and no other action is required.

To turn Airfoil antiice on... its all just flipping antiice switches on the overhead panel. In single bleed source operation... no difference. The isolation valve does it all as long as the switch is in auto.

The B-717 is by far the easiest aircraft as far as systems goes. They took out all the archaic DC-9 functions and simplified it to nothing.

Last edited:
They have a lot in common...the same windows, fuel switchs, window handle, yoke and tiller........... Thats about it.

ILStoMinimums said:
I believe they only had one line of DC9, that was the -30. In any case, DC9 pilots flew the DC9 exclusively and B717 pilots flew the B717 exclusively. Thank GOD all the DC 9's were retired about one year ago. Now it is all 717's and 737-700's, with -800's hopefully arriving in the near future. Some of the marketing data put out to the public mentions AirTran as having the youngest all-Boeing fleet in the world. Sounds about right.

Latest resources

Back