Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metro752 said:
Awwwwww come on, whats wrong with being the stereotypical American "Cowboy."

I see you point however the german controllers are not known for the sense of humor being stressed in thier training. And it really does play into the stereotype. Life really is easier ICAO standard but if you want to hold over the spessart NDB then cowboy away...........

I know, just kiddin around, the old joke about the German controller giving the American pilot a hard time about having ever been to Frankfurt before, only once before in another type of Boeing, and it didn't involve landing. Ha!

:D

sbav8r said:
Any controllers on here want to give an opinion?
I knew comptrollers that hated people saying things like, "with you". Why would a controller be any different?

lowslow said:
I've been flying for 26 years, and have yet to hear one person say that it's not acceptable. ..

Try reading articles written by controllers. I've read a number of articles written for pilots by different controllers over the years and they all hate it.

Here's a list of ATC articles on Avweb.
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182651-1.html If you read them, you'll notice that more often than not, when he gives an example of a dumbass unprofessional plot, the pilot is saying "with you". that should give you a clue what this controller thinks about it. I've read articles by a few other controllers, they seem to have the same opinion. why would you do something controllers don't like?

Now, would you say "I'm wearing underwear today" every time you contacted a new controller? I wouldn't. It doesn't impart any useful information, it wastes time on the frequency, and the controller would probably think I'm a dumbass. The same can be said for "with you".

A Squared said:
Now, would you say "I'm wearing underwear today" every time you contacted a new controller?

Thanks for the idea...i am gonna use that now

i actually need some new underwear. ya ever notice it disapears over the course of a year or so, till ya gotta buy more. I dont have any problem with holy underwear, and if I can't find any, I dont wear any.

With you

Actually where I work there's a new Capt who says "With you" every time in Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina and they seem to have no problem with it. I fact I think telling them that you have new underwear would be good since we have to fight for CB deviations and that would let them know that were OK without them; both new underwear and deviations.

I think it's un-professional and shows a lack of ATC communication knowledge but it wouldn’t get you killed. ;)

I sometimes like to "check in" on the "meter."

Kidding. I don't know what it's like around your necks of the woods, but here in the Northeast it can get very busy, and radio communications need to be as concise and accurate as possible to avoid frequency congestion (nevermind keeping controllers happy.) Eliminating useless verbiage (somewhere FN FAL is smiling) such as "with you" is critical to that end.

Besides, it just makes you sound like an idiot.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back