• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is so wrong about "with you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm really not a phraseology "nazi" if the freq isn't too busy, heck some of the stuff is pretty funny. The problem with the phrase "With you" is, students pick it up and use it in some really strange ways....

Busy Sunday afternoon in nice weather, GA all over heading to different satellite fields and overflights..

"Approach, Cessna 45 echo is with ya"

<me, scanning the scope for a N45E I must have taken a HO on>

"Calling approach, say call sign again?"

"Approach, Cessna 45 echo is with ya at forty five hundred"

<Now I'm looking for a tag, a strip, anything with N45E on it, I don't recall either>

"November 45 echo, say position"

"45 echo is twenty five south east with ATIS inbound"

Well Jeeezz, you just waisted a bunch of my limited time, and you will NOT go to the front of my sequence as a result. You could have made that last transmission first, and we'd be done by now....

And yes, this happens nearly every weekend...

MTpilot said:
Come on............

What do you want instead? Give examples.
"Hello."
"How dee do?"
"I have a great mortgage rate for you!"
"In the air"
"Sitting down"
"In an airplane"
"Hi there big boy"
"Grow your penis today"
"FYI"
"Laser Cartridge Refills

and that all time classic

"uhhhh"

which, of course, is what "with you" is really the equivalent of. Filler when you can't think of anything relevant to say. Nothing really "wrong" with it, but an unnecessary crutch. The only time I really got huffy about it was when I saw it on a flight school's handout of recommended communication technique.

Midlife,

That was perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read on flightinfo. I was laughing so hard I was crying!! :)

-Goose

Goose Egg said:
Kidding. I don't know what it's like around your necks of the woods, but here in the Northeast it can get very busy, and radio communications need to be as concise and accurate as possible to avoid frequency congestion (nevermind keeping controllers happy.) Eliminating useless verbiage (somewhere FN FAL is smiling) such as "with you" is critical to that end.

Besides, it just makes you sound like an idiot.

-Goose
Not only that, but we as listeners have to put up with hearing it all the time.

Besides, by not saying, "with you" all the time, it gives the controllers more time to explain "Pilot's Descretion" clearances to the other bone heads.

midlifeflyer said:
The only time I really got huffy about it was when I saw it on a flight school's handout of recommended communication technique.
Is that the same flyer where they recommended using the phrase, "Left Final"? Or...starting out a request by saying, "tail number yadda yadda, with a request?"

BTW, for those who like to defend "with you" here's some ammunition. I found one (and so far only one) FAA publication that uses the phrase. FAA-H-8083-11 - BALLOON FLYING HANDBOOK uses it in Chapter 4 as an example of initial contact with an ATC facility:

==============================
LIVERMORE TOWER, BALLOON FIVE FIVE SIX THREE WHISKEY, WITH YOU AT TWO THOUSAND FEET OVER THE CITY, EASTBOUND.
==============================

Along the same vein...

What are everyone's thoughts about using the facility name on the initial call? ("Kansas City Center, .........." vs. "Center, .......")

I assume the controller knows where they parked their car that morning, so using the facility name is just wasted airtime. If you're on the wrong frequency, it will still be obvious.

BRIGADEAVIATOR said:
I sometimes use the phrase "checking in"

"Socal approach seneca XXXX checking in level 12 thousand."
Saracstic German controller response: "Checking in? Would you like to leave a credit card for incidentals?"

I'm afraid to talk on the radios now, for fear that someone on flightinfo will hear me say something stupid....

facility, cessna 12345, 5000 if they are busy

or

facility, good afternoon/morning/evening, cessna 12345, 5000 if they arent.

lowslow said:
Nothing is wrong about "with you". Except for a bunch of sniviling, whining people with nothing better to do but shoot across the bow from their keyboard, it's perfectly fine.

Except that it is: 1. Not in the pilot controller glossary
2. Unprofessional (not as bad as "five by five", but it's up there.
3. Incorrect. You are not with "him", you are miles away in the air somewhere.
4. Unneccessary. Takes up valuable time.

lowslow said:
Come on people. I've been flying for 26 years, and have yet to hear one person say that it's not acceptable.

Except for all hundreds of professional pilots that seem to think so on this and every other forum that the subject is brought up on.

lowslow said:
If it really bothers anyone that much, or if you think it implies a lack of professonalism (Sp?) (a bone for the English proffessors onboard), you really need to lay off the caffine.

Nothing wrong with sounding human.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. If you hear someone say it, I hope you have it somewhere deep in your heart to forgive.....

Nobody is going to publicly humiliate you, doctor, when you drop your "with you" or "five by five" or "ten four", but if you have your Bonanza throttled back on your five mile left final, you may hear some snickering.

Latest resources

Back