• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is so wrong about "with you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read the AIM for your answer and examples.

Me? I say "SoCal Approach, Citation xxx, level one zero thousand" or the corresponding equivalents.

MTpilot said:
Come on............

What do you want instead? Give examples.

Where else would you be?

"Approach (center/tower/etc), Cessna 1234X, 6,000 Echo"

Basically, who am I talking to, who am I, where am I and anything else (like - what I want to do)

"Tower, Cessna 1234X outside the marker, option"

"Ground, Cessna 1234X North ramp, uniform, taxi"

that kinda thing.

-mini

Why do you need to tell the controller that you are with them? It doesnt serve any point or add any information whatsoever.

Do you tell anyone else in a conversation or phone call that you are "with you"

You don't have to say it - you're talking to them already

State who you are talking to, your callsign, altitude and any other restrictions - ie speed, heading etc.

I throw in a 'good evening/morning/afternoon', in case I might need to ask for a shortcut later.

Read the AIM. You'll get ignored if you talk like that in Europe.

Nothing is wrong about "with you". Except for a bunch of sniviling, whining people with nothing better to do but shoot across the bow from their keyboard, it's perfectly fine.
Come on people. I've been flying for 26 years, and have yet to hear one person say that it's not acceptable. If it really bothers anyone that much, or if you think it implies a lack of professonalism (Sp?) (a bone for the English proffessors onboard), you really need to lay off the caffine.

Nothing wrong with sounding human.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. If you hear someone say it, I hope you have it somewhere deep in your heart to forgive.....

MTpilot said:
Come on............

When you start flying overseas especially the third world anything other than ICAO standard will confuse things. It may seem like a small thing but its the first thing new hires get gigged on where I work. Depending on the location in can be downright dangerous to be non standard. A small piece of advice would be use correct ICAO now and you won't sound like an idiot on the radio when you start flying international. While flying overseas its embarrassing to hear some of our US brethern checking in to Frankfurt Control sounding like they are talking to a truck stop on a CB.............................

The rest of you can flame away but ICAO standard/ State rules really is the best way to communicate.

MD11Drvr said:
While flying overseas its embarrassing to hear some of our US brethern checking in to Frankfurt Control sounding like they are talking to a truck stop on a CB.............................

Awwwwww come on, whats wrong with being the stereotypical American "Cowboy."

MTpilot said:
Come on............

It not only sounds gay, but once you key a mike button 70 or 80 thousand times, you'll be looking for ways to eliminate useless verbiage.

verbiage

One entry found for verbiage. Main Entry: ver·biage Pronunciation: 'v&r-bE-ij also -bij
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French verbier to chatter, from verbe speech, from Latin verbum word
1 : a profusion of words usually of little or obscure content <such a tangled maze of evasive verbiage as a typical party platform -- Marcia Davenport>
2 : manner of expressing oneself in words : [SIZE=-1]DICTION[/SIZE] <sportswriters guarded their verbiage so jealously -- R.A. Sokolov>

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back