• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is so wrong about "with you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not defending it, 'cause I don't do it either, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard "with you" from guys like Southwest, Cactus, Air Shuttle, Delta, and so on and so forth.

EagleRJ said:
Along the same vein...

What are everyone's thoughts about using the facility name on the initial call? ("Kansas City Center, .........." vs. "Center, .......")
Slightly different in that

(a) it's not necessarily meaningless. Yes, it will be obvious anyway if you're on the wrong frequency....eventually. Stating the name of the facility will clear up the confusion faster. There are plenty of stories floating around in which someone talks to Tower A for quite a while in the pattern at Tower B.

(b) stating the name of the facility on initial call up =is= AIM-standard.

Its bad because it annoys people with nothing better to complain about :p

I don't think its so bad when you get a handoff and are initially coming on frequency... but that is just me. Same with 'checking in' or just a pause after stating your call sign when initially signing on.... all of these approaches takea bout the same amount of time on frequency.

Aren't you supposed to state whoever your calling on initial call up? Makes a lot of sense to me. I've been told by a few controllers that they won't even acknowledge you if you don't adress them.

The with you thing has been blown way out of poroportion. Give it a rest. Untangle your panties, and find something new to bitch about.

Three pilot crew: "...with them..."

Two pilot crew: "...with him (her)..."

One pilot crew: "Minny Center...Red Dawg 2389. Checking in with the one eyed willy in manual reversion with request!"

schoolio said:
I'm not defending it, 'cause I don't do it either, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard "with you" from guys like Southwest, Cactus, Air Shuttle, Delta, and so on and so forth.

Same guys who say "fishfinder" no doubt. Just 'cuz some old turd has four stripes and a bunch of cartoon airplane and alpa stickers all over his jepp case does it doesn't mean it's right.

BTW, I say "Center" without the center name only when I forget who they handed me off to...

Im not saying its wrong or right. I have been scolded for saying "with you" by senior flight instructors and FAA checkairmen. Then when I finally got out of the habbit I started flying right seat in the 525. Then I was scolded for saying "level 320" and was specifically told to say "with you" again.

So I'm pretty confused at the moment about the whole thing. Keep in mind the guys flying the 525 seem to be very competent much more so than anyone else I have flown with. They also are very correct about saying stuff like "PD one zero thats ten thousand". We also say Center but not which one and say Norcal without saying approach. No controller seems to care very much.

Alright. I will never say with you again.

Also, if a controller or another pilot tries to make conversation or god forbid a humorous comment, they will recieve only cold silence in return.

Your precious frequency will be available for your short unfeeling transmissions.

Latest resources

Back