• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is DRO at AAI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know what? I think I messed up my acronyms They might have said CDO. Is that something you guys have?

CDO = Continuous Duty Overnight

Some call them stand-ups or highspeeds. IMHO, they're miserable. Some swear by them though and won't fly anything else.

You know what? I think I messed up my acronyms They might have said CDO. Is that something you guys have?

Yeah...stand up overnights......but DRO opened up a whole can of worms. It reminds me of a former Mesa colleague Jerry k at Swa who had to explain to me what RTF TBO meant.

CDO's aren't terribly bad, depending on your ability to tolerate them, as long as they aren't front- or back-loaded. Here at AirTran, they sometimes put a leg on the front or back of that flight - they're brutal.

A continuous-duty overnight is when you duty on at say 8 or 9 at night, fly one leg of a couple hours to an out-station, go to the hotel for 4 or 5 hours, you don't go into rest, you come back to the airport and fly the EMO (Early Morning Originator) back into base. You're on duty for 11 or 12 hours, up all night, maybe catch a nap (which is another nickname for them), then expected to sleep during the day before your next one.

Another thing they do here is a front- or back-loaded Red eye. Saw one of them yesterday, a 4-day where the first 3 days were normal days, late 1st day report, afternoon legs for 3 days, then the last day late show, one leg MKE-LAS late evening, then the red-eye flight back LAS-ATL, 11 hour duty day, 7 hours of flying, the last of it on the back side of the clock.

I can't do that, my body doesn't bounce back and forth from days to all-night flights like that, much less when I've had a full duty day BEFORE I fly all night. Some people can, some people actually like them... glad they do, makes it easier for me to bid away from them.

CDO's aren't terribly bad, depending on your ability to tolerate them, as long as they aren't front- or back-loaded. Here at AirTran, they sometimes put a leg on the front or back of that flight - they're brutal.

When have you ever seen that here? I have never seen anything other than 1 leg out, 1 leg back. I thought the report times were later, say 21:30 but it's been a long time since I have done one.

When have you ever seen that here? I have never seen anything other than 1 leg out, 1 leg back. I thought the report times were later, say 21:30 but it's been a long time since I have done one.

It's been a while since I saw a front- or back-loaded CDO, but I see the front- and back-loaded red-eyes in open time on a regular basis (have to be careful not to grab one during SAP or daily trades, they look like regular trips until you see the last day).

Most of the report times are later, but they're still 10-12 hours of duty all on the back side of the clock, definitely not for me. The one I was scheduled for last month was a JAX turn, duty on at 2040, fly one leg to JAX, 7 hours on the ground (the longest CDO that was in the system), back to ATL.

Latest resources

Back