• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The title of the thread what has ALPA done for me lately. You guys can bash ALPA all you want, and perhaps every one of you are right, maybe they won't be politically successful in any of these endeavors. Maybe they'll get some and not all. But for all the ALPA bashers......

What is USAPA doing concerning these issues? Teamsters? How about the Virgin America pilots? Allegiant pilots? JetBlue pilots? Anyone? What other organization is even trying at a national level to better the profession?

I'm just posting what ALPA is at least trying to do on our behalf. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Got this today:
At the invitation of President Obama and Vice President Biden, Prater was also selected as one of a handful of union leaders invited to the East Room of the White House for an additional private meeting, along with the officers and other Executive Council members of the AFL-CIO, the presidents of the NEA and NTEU, and the officers and presidents of Change to Win.

President Obama told the group that he “would not be here” without the support of unions. He was also frank about the realistic timeline that it would take to fix the economy, but said that he is committed to creating jobs and helping working Americans.
“I do not view the labor movement as part of the problem; to me, and to my administration, labor unions are a big part of the solution,” President Obama said during the discussion.

In a private 45-minute meeting with the president and vice president conducted in the Blue Room, a handful of union presidents, of which Prater was one, were given the opportunity to discuss ways to improve the current system. They were briefed on the newly created White House Middle Class Task Force. The administration describes this as a major initiative targeted at raising the living standards of middle-class, working families in America. It is comprised of top-level administration policy makers. In addition to regular meetings, it will conduct outreach sessions with representatives of labor, business, and the advocacy communities, and ALPA will be right in the mix.

ALPA certainly has its faults, but its nice when your Union leader has the ear of the President, even if it's just for a short time......

Last edited:
What is USAPA doing concerning these issues? Teamsters? How about the Virgin America pilots? Allegiant pilots? JetBlue pilots? Anyone? What other organization is even trying?

Excellent point.

I'm just posting what ALPA is at least trying to do on our behalf. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

I appreciate ALPA's efforts. Hopefully the membership will seize the opportunity presented in the coming years and make a difference in reforming the bankruptcy laws, the Railway Labor Act, fight cabotage and have meaningful input into any open skies agreements by supporting ALPA-PAC.

Last edited:
I appreciate ALPA's efforts. Hopefully the membership will seize the opportunity presented in the coming years and make a difference in reforming the bankruptcy laws, the Railway Labor Act, fight cabotage and have meaningful input into any open skies agreements by supporting ALPA-PAC.

My "you guys" comment wasn't directed at you :)

You know..if the airlines really cared about its pilots and the pilot unions had even the littlest of sacks, they would put min rest into their contracts.

But neither will happen......

But I know of one company (union represented) that does have more than min rest built in...

Plenty of ALPA carriers have more than min rest built into their agreements.

ALPA's motto should just be "Taking it...and not giving back."

Of course, you measure ALPA in terms of what kind of deal you got.. your wallet and bank account....

And of course that matters....

However, your yardstick is to expect ALPA to be an individual bargaining agent for your interest, when in reality ALPA negotiates via the profession for collective bargaining interests...

IOW, your expectations are incorrect....

Latest resources

Back