What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHX..

I did not start military flying until AFTER I was ALPA. Maybe military folks are better at filter the BS out and seeing something for what it really is than most. ;)

Dan..

Wife and kid are fine..but it was touch a go. Thanks for asking. I really had high hopes for my company and my union during that time..both failed miserably and that was enough for me to make a change.

No one is saying ALPA has not made positive change in the business. The last decade or so as seen the erosion of its power or importance..in my opinion. It has become nothing more than another political machine that does not always represent the wishes of its membership at times, completely ignores it. If an ALPA thumper would come on here and say "Hey, we know we have some big problems and we need your help and patience while we fix them." I would be floored...but I doubt that will happen...until maybe now.

PHX..

I did not start military flying until AFTER I was ALPA. Maybe military folks are better at filter the BS out and seeing something for what it really is than most. ;)

Dan..

Wife and kid are fine..but it was touch a go. Thanks for asking. I really had high hopes for my company and my union during that time..both failed miserably and that was enough for me to make a change.

No one is saying ALPA has not made positive change in the business. The last decade or so as seen the erosion of its power or importance..in my opinion. It has become nothing more than another political machine that does not always represent the wishes of its membership at times, completely ignores it. If an ALPA thumper would come on here and say "Hey, we know we have some big problems and we need your help and patience while we fix them." I would be floored...but I doubt that will happen...until maybe now.

We have said ALPA suxs often...

In fact, those of us ALPA thumpers probably know what the problems are better than the haters...

I have made an extensive post or two describing what those problems are....

The problem is, when the haters read it, they act like they are playing stump the dummy, pointing and shouting... "see, there is the problem...." (its not me, not me....)

The problems like our country itself lie in ourselves and our refusal to participate in the process...

I am about to post an airticle in the non aviation chat section... check it out and post your thoughts...

I will say, this last post of yours is much more refreshing than your one liner posts....

Not picking on you, but the true test will be if WE can actually get it done. ALPA is not some third party, it is what the membership makes of it, it is the membership. ALPA-PAC support needs to rise. Less than a third of ALPA pilots routinely contribute to ALPA-PAC. ALPA pilots need to step up to the plate and participate in their union if they want change.

BRAVO!!! Well said man!

What is the purpose of the United States? the question is asked and many say "to make me rich"....

Unfortantely, that is what pilots thinks unions are for...

Rez..what is the purpose of ALPA. And what is the purpose of a union. Just answer the question.

Why were there unions in the first place?

Rez..what is the purpose of ALPA. And what is the purpose of a union. Just answer the question.

Why were there unions in the first place?

When the US Post office began air mail, field managers made the call whether a pilot would fly. Despite fog and ice on the east coast routes, managers continued to pressure pilots economically. After a few deaths, pilots started refusing as the managers went down the list looking for the next pilot to accept the assignment. After that, all the Air Mail pilots agreed that the next pilot to refuse.... they would all refuse...

I can recommend a few books for you to read. Much of the "standards" we've enjoyed were gained via blood and destroyed careers.

If you those gains are all the gains and there are no more gains to be had, then you are wrong.

The new international global market will be have the old manager tricks and some new ones.

All of this is obvious when one thinks about it....

Most pilots think ALPA is their personal Scott Boras. Coincindentally they are the haters.

Some pilots think unions are a resource to protect, defend and promote the profession.

You keep talking all of your crack. The answer is; a union should, and does represent the group, in the most proficient manner. This means, in our age, an umbrella over each of it's members. ALPA has diverged from these duties greatly. ALPA has become a hassle more than any help. When a majority of pilots vote and the union hall doesn't act in that majorities desire, the union is out of step. This is easily recallable, but with loud mouths spouting how great ALPA is with that entire crap line of "its you not the union, you are the union", proving they have nothing else but their head in someone's rear. This union doesn't represent me or my family, I must fight against Prater's crap, the same as during the worthless reign. A union must have a leader, for others to follow. If the union refuses to do as it's members require, it is broken. All of these blowhards have nothing except air. Unions have taken a great fall, but having self centered, outrageous pay packaged idiots doing exactly as they and only they want, it will fail. As it is now. ALPA is failed. These little "ALPA Good" issues are nice, but will never bring our career's back, or even level them off from the free fall they are in, because of the above.

That's the answer to your question these blinded, heart in right direction, guys won't recognize or admit.

You keep talking all of your crack. The answer is; a union should, and does represent the group, in the most proficient manner. This means, in our age, an umbrella over each of it's members. ALPA has diverged from these duties greatly. ALPA has become a hassle more than any help. When a majority of pilots vote and the union hall doesn't act in that majorities desire, the union is out of step. This is easily recallable, but with loud mouths spouting how great ALPA is with that entire crap line of "its you not the union, you are the union", proving they have nothing else but their head in someone's rear. This union doesn't represent me or my family, I must fight against Prater's crap, the same as during the worthless reign. A union must have a leader, for others to follow. If the union refuses to do as it's members require, it is broken. All of these blowhards have nothing except air. Unions have taken a great fall, but having self centered, outrageous pay packaged idiots doing exactly as they and only they want, it will fail. As it is now. ALPA is failed. These little "ALPA Good" issues are nice, but will never bring our career's back, or even level them off from the free fall they are in, because of the above.

That's the answer to your question these blinded, heart in right direction, guys won't recognize or admit.

Did ALPA let you down at ACA?

Latest resources

Back