Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What happens to the Compass flowthrough, if NWA Merges?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is my guess that if a merger should occurr the managing carrier would try to cash out the NWA pilots' retirement, in a manner similar to the early out packages Delta pilots were offered before bankruptcy.

What early out packages were offered to Delta pilots before the bankruptcy?

I can't recall anything being offered. I do recall that we had a contractual right to a lump sum payout that was already a part of our negotiated DB plan, but nothing was offered.

Re: What happens to the Compass flowthough, if NWA Merges?

Both, until operations are integrated.
Both, until a new deal is negotiated.
Both, until a new deal is negotiated.

Thank you for making my point for me.

Per the contract, a merger would have no effect, assuming the language wasn't modified as part of the integration agreement.

So just to be clear, you're not sure what contractual provisions will survive in a merger. Isn't that right?

Last edited:
What early out packages were offered to Delta pilots before the bankruptcy?

FDJ2 is right. There were no early out packages offered. Many pilots opted to take advantage of our existing contractual language and retire early, but there were no packages offered.

Having said that, I also agree with Fins. I could see a situation in a Delta/NW merger where there were early out packages offered to the top NW pilots to help prevent furloughs off the bottom, and thus get the support of both MECs.

So just to be clear, you're not sure what contractual provisions will survive in a merger. Isn't that right?

Holy Bagpipes! Are you serious?

You need to call your pharmacist and get your money back.

Quit being a dork. EVERYTHING survives. All of it. Every bit.

Now...tell me the terms of the merger proposed by management(s), and I'll tell you what improvements we'll demand for any contractual modifications they request.

Since you can't, go hump someone else's leg for a while, huh?

Mea Culpa... 737Pylt and Michael are correct. When I heard pilots "accepted" and "took" the early out, I thought it was an "offer." But they are correct, it was a contractual provision.

If DAL & NWA merge, it is my hope they will negotiate a similar provision for those who would want to accept that as an option. It seems of done right, it could be a win/win.

There's a good chance it will be changed. But since we're not in extremis, any changes will have to be to our benefit...or we will simply sit on our hands and watch the circus....and no changes will occur.

Really?

OK, then the new management decides to keep the airlines separate with their separate contracts with the different work rules, different pay rates, and different benefit packages.

How long do you think it will take management to figure out which pilot group has the cheapest compensation package? Maybe it's the Delta pilots because they don't have a defined benefit plan. Oops - looks like your expectation of retiring as a 747 Captain has been derailed!

And while Razor is sitting on his hands, ladies and gentlemen, I submit that this kind of thinking is why ALPA is such an abject failure:

And thank you for reminding me of your culpability in the effort to erode the mainline franchise through your willingness to fly those 76-seaters for crap rates.

The mainliners have always had the power to fix the whipsaw but haven't even when they recognize the erosion to the profession. They settle for higher payrates and work rule enhancements and blame the victims instead.

The longer the mainliners let the problem fester, the more it's going to cost us all to fix it.

Last edited:
Really?

OK, then the new management decides to keep the airlines separate with their separate contracts with the different work rules, different pay rates, and different benefit packages.

They can't do that. It has to be a "single carrier". One contract, One list.

Based on your previous posts in this thread, you don't really understand haw these things work. Managment cannot pick and chose which contract provisions stay.

When two UNION airlines merge, or are operated by the same holding company, they have to be operated by one pilot group with one contract in accordance with the most important part of any labor contract: recognition and job security.

Maybe you are working at a non-union airline where non of these protections exist. In that case, you better believe that managment will keep the airlines seperate so they can use one against the other. There are also regionals that have minimal protections as well (was never a problem until recent years).

Last edited:
When two UNION airlines merge, or are operated by the same holding company, they have to be operated by one pilot group with one contract in accordance with the most important part of any labor contract: recognition and job security.

Of course, and that contract will have to be negotiated so when Occum's Razor claims that every contract provision will survive intact, he's either being disingenuous or naive. Isn't that right?

Maybe you are working at a non-union airline where non of these protections exist.

I'm in ALPA and that protection should exist as a mandate within the union - no? Isn't that what merger and alter ego policy is there to address?

If flow throughs are such a good deal for the profession, why aren't Delta, Northwest, Continental and United Airline pilots exploring mutual flow throughs with each other in the coming merger instead of one list? Answer: It doesn't stop the whipsaw.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back