Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What ever happened to SWA going into MSP...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trip,

You are right on that, but the red tail is not going away, just the paint.

If you think that Delta is going to give away MSP you have another thing coming.

What is the big rush to have SWA move in to MSP. MSP folks already have Sun Country to serve the market. Look how great they are doing.

I think it is funny how people think that SWA is this great airline. I have had the pleasure of riding on Fronteir Airlines and I think they have a much better product and the people are more friendly there. Just a typical example of PR and publc perception being everything nowadays.

SWA is an efficient carrier and the public seems to love it, but their day is coming soon. Within the next 5 years their management is going to be coming hard after their pilots for concessions. It's just the way it will shake out. It's only natural for management to eventually go to the cost side and extract it out of the pilots.

Thoughts?

Pretty accurate. I don't wish SWA guys any ill, but EVERYONE has their turn in the barrel.

Nu

I believe that O/D is "Originating/Destination". In other words, lots of traffic originating and terminating at a specific airport, and that is what the traffic folks look at in determining new destinations. ....
Dan

Dan,

You're right about MSP, but I remember during the NWA bankruptcy, this issue was raised and the MAC needed NWA to make good on its promises to keep the MSP hub.

The reality is that if SWA does to MSP what it's doing to DEN, NWA would break promises to stay and I don't think that's a risk the MAC wants to take. Plus - with Eagan being their HQ, I'd bet that both the MAC and NWA would keep SWA at bay. On the other hand, if SWA did make it in, I don't think NWA would get in to a predatory pricing fight like it did with Spirit in DTW. My memory is weak on that one, but I think NWA lost that case.

Either way, SWA is going to become more aggressive going forward.

Last edited:
Trip,

If you think that Delta is going to give away MSP you have another thing coming.

Thoughts?

Government ANti trust will make them give up some gates, Why struggle and fight for them when they will make them release them, then someone will take them... I personally would rather see them go elsewhere but I don't make those decesions.

If they wanted to do something similar to DEN in other "hub Cities" IMHO I don't see it being the DAL/NWA powerhouse they would go after, there are much weaker airlines to go after!

ANd before the Frontier guys step up to kick me in the Nuts, Unfortunately, you are just a casualty of war, again in my opinion, we are not after you in DEN.

KBB

What is the big rush to have SWA move in to MSP. MSP folks already have Sun Country to serve the market. Look how great they are doing.

Actually, I thought I saw a story not too long ago about Sun Country looking for a loan from the State of MN in order to make it through the winter. I'm not say'n, they're in imminent danger of going Bankrupt, I'm just say'n, that there may be some gates opening up in the not too distant future.

Actually, I thought I saw a story not too long ago about Sun Country looking for a loan from the State of MN in order to make it through the winter. I'm not say'n, they're in imminent danger of going Bankrupt, I'm just say'n, that there may be some gates opening up in the not too distant future.

Uh, yeah... Last I checked the state of MN didn't have any extra money for themselves. Gov. Pawlenty has done a pretty good job of not balancing our state budget.

If you think that Delta is going to give away MSP you have another thing coming
They wont give it away, but it will slip away.

I grew up under the arrivals from the north and as a kid would listen to the Northwest pilots on my multi- band radio at night. I hoped to be one someday. I am the last person to want to see SW elbow in.

I grew up under the arrivals from the north and as a kid would listen to the Northwest pilots on my multi- band radio at night. I hoped to be one someday. I am the last person to want to see SW elbow in.

Sorry, kid, looks like Delta is elbowing into your dream, not SWA.

Trip,

I think it is funny how people think that SWA is this great airline. I have had the pleasure of riding on Fronteir Airlines and I think they have a much better product and the people are more friendly there. Just a typical example of PR and publc perception being everything nowadays.

SWA is an efficient carrier and the public seems to love it, but their day is coming soon. Within the next 5 years their management is going to be coming hard after their pilots for concessions. It's just the way it will shake out. It's only natural for management to eventually go to the cost side and extract it out of the pilots.

Thoughts?

I see neither SWA in MSP or concessions for the SWA pilots in the next 5 years. I think SWA has plenty to work on with the markets they serve and I think they know it. Why try and muscle in on a healthy NWA/DAL in MSP when you can attack DEN with two carriers struggling financially?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back