Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What ever happened to SWA going into MSP...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1 - we might have other higher priorities (most likely)

2 - NWA is known as a fierce competitor in their fortress hubs, we do okay at DTW but aren't exactly expanding there.

3 - there is a rumor that Herb made a gentleman's agreement with NWA back in the day when we moved into MDW after Midway (?) went bankrupt. something about if NWA wouldn't fight us there we'd stay out of MSP. probably not true but who knows.

If there were gates at the HUMPH it seems as if it would be perfect for our model. We wouldn't be in all that mess over on the Lindy side and it would be easy access for our customers from whatever that highway is just to the south. When I was company commuting in and out of there a few years back I prayed my company got me a Sun Country ticket because it was so easy over there. Short walk, a lot less traffic and no waiting on people to push back to get into the gate right next door.

I agree completely. After the huge renovation and revamp of the Humpty Dumpty, it is the definition of convienient. Crowds are always small, lines are always short and access to parking and freeways is simple.

I am still paying for my tickets, so when ever I get the chance to go home to Minne, it is usually on Sun Country, cant pass up the free cheeseburgers.

If the rumor was true, I dont see why SWA would have passed up gates at the Hubert H....

I wonder why they haven't thought about STP, the St. Paul downtown airport. There is a 6,500 ft runway with ILS both directions. There is the old terminal building currently sitting empty that could be used. The only thing missing is ARFF, which could be done, even if only part time when SWA shows up...

FWIW, Capitol airlines did STP-ORD in the mid-90's in a metroliner. Capitol folded due to lack of Capital and bad mgmt. They only had 2 metroliners. SWA could pull it off!

Another good option is STC, St. Cloud, MN. Its ony a 30-45 minute drive on the interstate. the only airline there as of today is Mesaba

I wonder why they haven't thought about STP, the St. Paul downtown airport. There is a 6,500 ft runway with ILS both directions. There is the old terminal building currently sitting empty that could be used. The only thing missing is ARFF, which could be done, even if only part time when SWA shows up...

FWIW, Capitol airlines did STP-ORD in the mid-90's in a metroliner. Capitol folded due to lack of Capital and bad mgmt. They only had 2 metroliners. SWA could pull it off!

Another good option is STC, St. Cloud, MN. Its ony a 30-45 minute drive on the interstate. the only airline there as of today is Mesaba

My guess would be because STP is prone to flooding from the Miss. River. I lived there for 12 years and there were times when several flight ops moved to MSP because of floods or because they were forecast. Runways were complately covered with 1 ft + of water. I always thought RST would be a good fit. STC is more like 1+15.

20 - 25 mile finals in VMC....and you thought PHX was bad.

Alaska Airlines starts twice daily service between MSP and SEA on 10/26. Alaska also serves Hawaii...will likely add some competition to that market.

The era of the redtail fortress is comming to an end, look for SWA in the not too distant future.

That question was asked a couple of times in my initial training last spring. From what was said, MSP is a favorable market because of the high frequency of O/Ds (originating departures). However, no immediate plans were in the mix. But who knows, maybe 5 or 10 years.

I believe that O/D is "Originating/Destination". In other words, lots of traffic originating and terminating at a specific airport, and that is what the traffic folks look at in determining new destinations. No need to start up a new destination if most of the folks are just passing through.

Regards,

Dan

Red tail will be a Widget

The era of the redtail fortress is comming to an end, look for SWA in the not too distant future.

Trip,

You are right on that, but the red tail is not going away, just the paint.

If you think that Delta is going to give away MSP you have another thing coming.

What is the big rush to have SWA move in to MSP. MSP folks already have Sun Country to serve the market. Look how great they are doing.

I think it is funny how people think that SWA is this great airline. I have had the pleasure of riding on Fronteir Airlines and I think they have a much better product and the people are more friendly there. Just a typical example of PR and publc perception being everything nowadays.

SWA is an efficient carrier and the public seems to love it, but their day is coming soon. Within the next 5 years their management is going to be coming hard after their pilots for concessions. It's just the way it will shake out. It's only natural for management to eventually go to the cost side and extract it out of the pilots.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back