• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does Mesaba want?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, here it is for all you folks out there. Stop ripping on a guy who is trying to fix his career. We all could be in that position. "I am looking pretty good at my current job, I may test the waters for something better, but decide to stay." Then the crap hits the fan and you need something to just get your foot in the door and cannot seem to catch a break.

I have been at mesaba for a while now, I know XJ's minimums have gone up and down in the past years. from 1000-1500 all the way down to 250-350 for the wonder college kids and now again a bit higher. Why? because their circumstances can change. Guess what? From the guys I know doing the hiring, they all strongly go off of your attitude and your desire to be at XJ. Oh yes, and if you act like a jet snob, you will not get hired (but some of those made it through). Then again I know HR can be weird, that first impression sure does mean a lot.

good luck, I have a feeling our hiring is going to increase, but with other regionals laying off, I think our minimums might stay higher (thank god)

I applied there a couple of weeks ago and got the thanks but you don't meet our requirements email today. I have almost 6000 total 1500 ME two types ATP clean record. What exactly do they want?

How many airlines/companies have you worked for? I know they don't like people who job jump a lot. They think it is a sign that you won't stay or can't get along with people, FWIW.

I too applied a couple weeks back and got the no thanks email this morning. 4900TT, 1800 PIC turbine, and 3 type ratings (one being a CL-65sic). Not sure what they're looking for. But as mentioned by Butters, job hopping could be part of my problem. Due to a couple of bad choices, I've had 4 jobs since last summer...although I'm presently at 2 of them. Still probably doesn't look all that great. I'm just trying to find a place where I can accure some longevity.

When I told them no, they seemed surprised(Like I should only be so lucky to get a REGIONAL JET JOB at slightly above poverty wages). I told them I cant go from making 57.00 an hour to your 24.00 per hour.

Then why did you waste their time and yours by applying and interviewing?

I heard they're looking for pilots that have more posts on FI than they have in TOTAL TIME. :p
Are you sure that's not just the competitive mins?

Okay, here it is for all you folks out there. Stop ripping on a guy who is trying to fix his career. We all could be in that position. "I am looking pretty good at my current job, I may test the waters for something better, but decide to stay." Then the crap hits the fan and you need something to just get your foot in the door and cannot seem to catch a break.

I have been at mesaba for a while now, I know XJ's minimums have gone up and down in the past years. from 1000-1500 all the way down to 250-350 for the wonder college kids and now again a bit higher. Why? because their circumstances can change. Guess what? From the guys I know doing the hiring, they all strongly go off of your attitude and your desire to be at XJ. Oh yes, and if you act like a jet snob, you will not get hired (but some of those made it through). Then again I know HR can be weird, that first impression sure does mean a lot.

good luck, I have a feeling our hiring is going to increase, but with other regionals laying off, I think our minimums might stay higher (thank god)

I'm on the bottom end of the experience spectrum and got the thanks for applying, but you aren't what we are looking for letter. 1500tt, 2 jet SICs, and 700 jet SIC. I guess the guys that have been around the block are getting the dear johns regardless of tt? I don't think any of the previous posters interviewed. I'm not sure how they can display the jet snob attitude. It seems to be quite a few guys that get aren't getting the chance too, even with a ton of experience....

Yeah screw Mesaba... I interviewed in Jan (with no turbine time) for a SF340 Street Captain position but was only offered an FO position. Thinking I could do better at the time because I had 2300TT and 400ME- I turned it down. Moved on and flew Pt 135 Learjets for a little while until I was furloughed. At the time I was just looking for any job so I reapplied at Mesaba in Sept with 2800TT 800ME and LR-Jet type and hear nothing. Oh well I have since found a Pt 91 Lear position paying over twice Mesaba first year pay. Not getting a job there was a blessing- both times.

When I told them no, they seemed surprised(Like I should only be so lucky to get a REGIONAL JET JOB at slightly above poverty wages). I told them I cant go from making 57.00 an hour to your 24.00 per hour. As much as I want a MSP based job, I couldnt do it. They said they understood, and to give them a call back if things had changed for me. I obviously misunterstood them, what they meant to say was: "Go F#ck Yourself" --It only took them 10 months to call me for an interview the first time after they were hiring 1500 hour guys with no prior 121 experience left and right. Did they have a change in personel in the hiring department there???

You are joking right? Has nothing to do with your qualifications and everything to do with your attitude. Thats easy to see and I've only read two of your post! First, guys with your qualifications are a dime a dozen. Second, you have the nerve to question why a company has no desire to hire a guy that made it clear that he would not work for them unless it was his only option! Geeez, they swung and missed when they passed on you!

Why would anyone work for a regional unless it was their only option?

Latest resources

Back