What do you say when someone asks you..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
H.Agenda said:
Dont you want to be a commercial pilot, fly big planes?

Turn it around on them.

Person: Dont you want to be a commercial pilot, fly big planes?
Me: Why?
Person: For money and glory (or whatever they usually say at this point)
Me: The big planes don't have that anymore.

CE

Are you a commercial pilot?
Yes.
Oh really, what airline?
No I am a private Jet driver.

bull dozer driver, golf cart driver, dump truck driver, bus driver, cab driver, limo driver, airline pilot, private jet drver, astronaunt.

or how about getting on an airliner only to sit next to someone (plane ole passenger) who "coaches" you through the whole flight just b/c he knows a little about flying the airlines. i find it more fun to indulge him in lots of questions about flying just to play ignorant than to say, "i know that i'm a pilot." I prefer, "really, what's a flap? if we loose one, can we still fly? how much oxegen is flowing through the cabin? if i light a match, will it explode? anyone had a similar experience?

Most of the time people that ask kind of question are just curious or are trying to make polite conversation. Why get defensive? Say something like "I tried it for a while and A. didn't really like it or B. moved on to something else because it was a better opportunity".

Another option is to say "well, once you land a 747 on a pitching carrier deck, one has nothing left to prove." When they say the inevitable "no way" or "that's impossible", say "for a commercial pilot, yes."

when you have a job flying "big" planes, chances are you are going to be doing lots more work than the rest of us.

Latest resources

Back