Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you love about your chosen city of residence?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHOENIX:

Pros: -Year-round golf!
-Beautiful women
-Several good boating and fishing resevoirs within a half hour drive
-Perfect weather 9 months out of the year. Even the hot ones arent
that bad (its a DRY heat).
-Tons of outdoor activities to suit anyone.

Cons: -Housing is getting ridiculous. People are averaging 20-25% a year. If
you want a house in a decent area, be prepared to compete with
several other buyers and go well above asking price.

-Rush hour traffic starts as early as 6 a.m. and again at 3 p.m. and it
sucks.
-One of the most sprawled out cities I've ever seen. Takes forever
to get from one end of the valley to the other.

Here's my .02
Born On Long Island, NY
Pros: Beaches, close to NYC nightlife and culture
Cons: People are extremely rude, except my family of course.
housing prices through the roof and noone knows true traffic unless
you've traveled on the L.I.E.

Pennsylvania( pocono area)
Pros: Beautiful mountains, skiing and some nice lakes
Cons: Getting a little trashy looking in some parts

Boston, Ma.
Pros: Culture, sports, history, not far from white mountains NH
Cons: Rudest people I've ever encountered, very regal & expensive.

Orlando, Fl.
Pros: Weather, Disney, beaches, night life
Cons: No change of seasons gets dull after a couple of years, hurricanes,
traffic. Expensive housing.

Mid- Michigan area is by far my favorite place to live. The mid-west is
the best kept secret.
Pros: Lakes, lakes everywhere. Friendliest people ever, housing is dirt
cheap in some towns, up north lots of hills, skiing, snowmobiling, boating,
fishing, not far from cedar point,
Cons: the winters, of course are harsh but now is the time to invest in Mi.
with the prices being so low. Hopefully, we can boot out granholm and turn the economy around. I am buying up as much real estate as I can.

What do you love about your chosen city of residence?

The police chief will sign off on the ATF C.L.E.O. signature requirement without a big fuss.

Medford, Ore.

PROS:

Just the right size @ 80,000 (but growing fast), manageable traffic and commutes, gorgeous scenery, quick access to skiing, fishing, camping, the coast, hiking, rafting, Crater Lake NP, etc., nice little "int'l" airport, relatively tranquil airspace, less rainy than Portland, no sales tax, don't pump my own gas. No tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, severe t-storms...hell, hardly ever as much as a stiff crosswind. Rated by Forbes as the 7th safest city (from a disaster standpoint) in America.

CONS:

Rifriggindiculous housing prices. Full of Californians. Valley constantly socked in with pea-soup fog during the winter. Rain and flooding were nasty this last winter and even worse in 97. Ashland (nearby) is completely unaffordable to live in and full of the weirdest types you'll ever meet. No shortage of gun-totin' inbred rednecks either. People aren't as open and friendly as, say, the Midwest.

I still rate it a strong 8/10 as an overall place to live.

MFR

citdrver said:
Despite what he Capt. Megadeth said about my lovely town it really is a nice place to live, and here is why:

Chicago
  • People - very friendly

Are you kidding me??

Southern Maine

The good:
The ocean (cold for swimming but the fishing is great)
The mountains
Very little crime
4 seasons
Boston is only 2 hours away
You can live without sitting on top of your neighboors (3.89 acres of privacy)
No big traffic issues, The state only has 2 highways.
No major natural disasters, no floods, no fires, no mudslides, no hurrincanes, no tornadoes, only the occasional 12" snowstorm

Bad:
4 seasons not evenly distributed (Spring 10%, Summer 6%, Fall 15%, Winter 69%)
The job market sucks
Ocean water is too damn cold for swimming
3.89 acres of privacy, except for the mosquitos the size of a small car
Every summer you get invaded: Speedo wearing Canadians coming to the beach from the north and Massholes dragging their SUV's full of ugly kids from the South.

But hey it's Maine, "The way life should be"

Dayton, OH

Stay far, far away. Not a d@mn thing here except flat ground and crappy weather. Often smells of rotting plant-life. Housing is inexpensive so I guess thats something. No hot women but plenty of nascar fans (*shudder*). Crappy humid summers, relatively cold winters with not much snow and nowhere to do anything with it even if you had it. Everything rusts. The aviation museum is interesting but one good thing does not offset a landslide of negatives. I really don't understand peoples attraction to the midwest. Have any of you ever been west of the mississippi? You know, the half of the country that doesnt suck ass?

Hey!

Arkansas is west of the Mississippi, just barely, i know, but still....

And yeah, it sucks!

Heyas:

My $0.02...

Grew up in FLL. It was MUCH nicer back in the day. Now it's filled with Tony Soprano wannabes and their wives. Single? Forget dating unless you clear 7 digits left of the decimal every year. Insane taxes, and only during the VERY hot part of the year to you get any respite from the maddening tourists, their crappy driving and the long lines to do anything. Real estate is in orbit. Unless you already own, your screwed. Forget living south of the Dade county line unless you can speak Spanish without an accent.

Daytona? Same...see above except with more of a red-neck element. Typical Florida flat savannah surroundings. I understand that there used to be a nice interstate between DAB and TPA, but now it's used as a combination raceway/parking lot.

Macon, GA was actually pretty nice. All of the amenities of a big city without any of the hassle. Hot, hazy summers, but cost of living was very reasonable. Nice places went for $450 or so for a 2br/2bth. Comes in 2nd.

New Orleans...well, its a great place to live if you get into the proper state of mine (or the state of intoxication) or live on the North shore. Definately an aquired taste, but loads of fun once you get in the groove. Great food, great music, great locals, and laughably poor government. Reasonable cost of living, but prepare to faint when you see your NOPSI (electric) bill.

Eastern North Carolina. Very nice, very quaint and very quiet. Plenty of real estate for reasonable $$$ and very reasonable cost of living. If you are single, forget dating unless you're a Marine. Make sure you take the ferry out to Kill Devil Hills at least once.

Central Virginia. Shenandoa Valley, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville. My all time favorites. Mild weather, great locals...plenty to do up in DC. I understand that real estate in CHOville has gone nuts, though, so you might need to head out of town or over the hills a bit. Verdant to the extreme and the area looks like it came out of "Lord of the Rings".

Minnesota......ahhh, it would be a OK place to live if it weren't for the obnoxious locals and the LOOONG winters...the grey cold sky lasts from September to May. Punitive taxation. Watch the movie Fargo, and you will know all you need to...the people really are like that. All your buds that have been there will tell you "don't move here, the people will drive you nuts!" You will anyway, and in 6 months you will find out your friends were right. The locals were as glad to see me leave as I was glad to be leaving the place. If you marry a girl from there, go ahead and buy the grave plot, cause you will NEVER be leaving.

The Dakotas...Minnesota without the nasty locals, high cost of living or the insane taxation. FSD can be VERY nice if you are into the mid-west scene and the weather doesn't bother you...Your $$$ goes a long, long way. The folks there are honestly glad to see you and aren't completely without the social graces like their cousins in MN.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back