Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you love about your chosen city of residence?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Stinkbug

As pilots we have way too many options about where to live. My wife and I have moved more times than I care to remember, for various reasons. I visit all sorts of places during the course of a trip that seem like they'd be nice to call home, but since we have a very diverse population here at at flightinfo.com I'd like to get some of your opinions about what you like (or don't like) about where you live. I'll start:

Orlando...pros are long, beautiful and very pleasant winters, great bass fishing, beach within an hour and Ocala national forest within two, some good mountain biking (believe it or not)

............cons are the hot and humid summers, outrageous cost of housing (getting worse every month), and tough to commute out of to almost anywhere.

Anyone care to chime in?

I'll roll in on it...

San Antonio.

Likes: People are genuinely friendly, plenty of family friendly stuff to do (Six Flags, Sea World, etc), nice winters, housing is still very reasonable pricewise, gasoline is (relatively) cheap compared to other cities in the US, lots of places to eat (could be good or bad), very military friendly town, very easy to commute to Memphis...

Dislikes: Hot and humid in the summer, the road layout is crazy (lack of good planning), still a city with it's associated problems, property taxes in the city/county limits are high, not as cosmopolitan as Austin, Houston, DFW...

Grew up in Florida, lived in Colorado, California, and New York. San Antonio overall was the best choice for us based mainly on commute ease, my USAF Reserve job, and overall cost of living.

FastCargo

Denver, Colorado

Pros: All professional sports, D1 college football, decent climate, lots of restaurants, top-notch entertainment, plenty of other things to do. Housing is somewhat overpriced. Improving public transit. Great international airport. Two or three excellent malls and nearby factory outlets, for those who like to shop. The mountains, within very reasonable driving distance. Great skiiing, for those who like to ski. Good TV news.

Cons: Denver drivers, though most of them are recent immigrants from such notably bad driving locales as California. Insufficient road infrastructure, though that is improving. Lack of really good delicatessens. Finally, not a real great flying market, especially compared to Florida, Arizona and even Oklahoma.

I lived in Vero Beach, Florida for a little more than a year. The summers are way too hot and humid, with one's power bill during those months costing an arm and a leg from running the A/C. The winters are nice, but as someone who was used to four seasons, wearing shorts and seeing lawns being mowed in January was freaky. I lived near the beach. I went to the beach a few times after I first moved to Florida and after doing that thought, there, I have gone to the beach. Hurricane Andrew came through Florida while I lived there and, for a time, appeared headed toward Vero. That made me nervous. Having said all that, in looking back, living in Florida wasn't altogether a bad experience, but I doubt that I would move back.

I lived in Northern California briefly twelve years ago during the winter. For a time, it was raining nearly every day, but I liked it. The early spring was wonderful. The cost of living was high. While I would have loved to stay in NoCal, I grew up in Denver and am glad that I returned.

Last edited:
I liked Florida. I've lived from Pensacola to Miami and many points in between. The last fifteen years was in the GNV/JAX area and that was my favorite. I didn't care for the summer heat or the four season winters but the flying and fishing was the best for sure.
I moved to Alabumer in 99 to fly crop dusters and boy that whole thing turn out to be a total flop. This place sucks a big one. I love the weather and geography but the carbon base life forms in this place,,,Well, lets just stop there.

RightPedal said:
This place (Alabama) sucks a big one. I love the weather and geography but the carbon base life forms in this place,,,Well, lets just stop there.

Seconded!!!!!

The best part about Alabama is the fact that one day someone in some other state will hire me and I will never have to go back there again. Absolute worst drivers on the planet...bar none! That "curve" in the road in Birmingham seems to throw them for a loop. They can't quite seem to figure it out. And if you're not into church and college football, they look at you like you have two heads. It's the only two things they have to occupy their time.

We're talking about the state that voted down an amendment to the state constitution that did nothing other than remove racist language from it.

I hate this place!

gkrangers said:
Nothing..Daytona sucks. I'm just glad I'm not land locked.

Yes it does. My first apartment my freshman year was on the corner of Harvey and Grandview over on beachside. That place was disgusting. I would wake up in the middle of the night and see 10lb rats sitting on my stove and countertop. Needless to say, I moved closer to Riddle as soon as I met someone who needed a roomate.

Mainland side is decent, just stay out of Holly Hill/BCC area.

Dayton, Ohio. Yeah, lousy winters and all. I live on the left base to 20 at MGY and a right downwind to Wright Pat. 15 minutes gets me to the museum. 12 minutes to Moraine Airpark and the longest running fly-in in the nation!

San Diego

During my career, I've lived in 5 states from the Pacific Northwest, Southern California, Intermountain West, and the Mid-West. Without a doubt, Southern California and San Diego is my favorite. The weather and the location are perfect. But then that's just my opinion.

'Sled

Stay away fom new mexico. (like you were planning to move here)

SoCal is GREAT yet expensive. If you wait until the housing market there bursts you can get a good house and triple your money.

Latest resources

Back