what do I do with my dog??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
suswims said:
Unfortunately I am very tight on money, otherwise it wouldnt be a big issue for me. Paying off my loans and FO pay will kill me as it is.

Respectfully it sounds like you don't have the time or money for dogs. Why not sell or find good homes for them and donate $5 clams a month to the SPCA that you would've spent on dog food/supplies... Take the other $5 and give it to ALPA-PAC.....:D

Im in the same situation but got the dog because im not home much, robbers hate dobermans. Find yourself a cute neighbor to help out or even an ex that may have gotten a little attatched to your dog. Or maybe find some roommates and take them to lunch every now and then for letting fido out while youre gone. I wouldnt give up my dog for anything, not even a totally awesome regional f/o job...yes call me crazy. You can make it work if you really want to.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Take the other $5 and give it to ALPA

Better to spend your $5 on a can of Alpo for the dog than to donate it to alpo (the sorry excuse for a union). Keep the dog, quit paying alpo dues and use that money to hire a dogsitter or send him to doggy camp while your gone. You will get far more benefit and loyalty from your canine friend than alpa.

Originally Posted by suswims
Unfortunately I am very tight on money, otherwise it wouldnt be a big issue for me. Paying off my loans and FO pay will kill me as it is.

Sounds to me like you should re-think the job you're considering. Seriously. It is a job, not a flying club. One of the requirements of accepting a job would be it's ability to meet your needs both financially, and in terms of lifestyle.

Why not pursue a job flying checks? You would be home every day and, most likely it would pay more than the commuters. Some corporate jobs (note I said corporate and not charter) you're home every night. You could get a dispatchers certificate and work at an airline's operations control center.

I agree that you made an obligation when you got a dog and should see it through. It is not a stereo you can sell on ebay when you tire of it. It is an animal who relies upon you and, likely, who loves you.

Look into your dog's eyes. He's doing you a favor. He just gave you an excuse to avoid the biggest mistake of your professional career. Friends don't let friend's fly RJs.

Good luck.

PS - PetCo was looking for a corporate pilot in the Phoenix area a few months back.

proud_dude said:
Why is it when someone asks a great question and is looking for seasoned sage advice all he/she gets is joking, synical responses? I read one page of responses and only saw one person who gave any legit advice.. People (and I know I'll get flamed for this but I don't care) grow up and try to answer someone's question properly, or just don't post!

Because it's idiotic for an alleged adult contemplating a job as an airline pilot to even ask the question, that's why. He/she has been moving towards this occupational goal for at least a couple of years and now all of a sudden they remember they have a dog. WTFO? If they got the dog after making the decision to be a pilot they weren't thinking ahead. If they've had the dog for a long time they should have factored the dog into the career decision and had a plan to care for it.

suswims said:
Just looking for some advice about what to do with my dog if I go to the regionals. I am single and am having trouble finding any relatives to take him.... Has anyone out there found a way to keep their dog or is the ultimate reality just finding him a new home?

Don't give up your dog for a freakin regional job. get a real job stay at home.

Find some non aviation roomates who like dogs. or better already have dogs. Thats what i did. My pup is happy at home with them as we speak.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back