• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What a rip-off....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok. Exactly how did you find this thread? Grave robbing? I suggest woodworking, golf or fantasy football instead... ;) TC
you are right young man-- I was definitely digging through the bowels of this website in order to resurrect this thread. As a retired pilot, I now have a lot of time on my wrinkled hands. My grand son flies for a regional airline out of IAH so I like to keep informed of what's happening in all sectors of aviation. In the old days, there were a few magazines but mostly we learned things from simply talking to other pilots.

Yes sirree, The internet is one of my favorite hobbies. In addition to reading flight info, I look at all types of neat things-- late last night, I found a website that had movies on it... it was pretty exciting, even for an old timer like me. I'm glad my wife don't know nothin' about it though-- she wouldn't approve most likely.

With golf, I try but my hemoroids act up some time. It's hard to play in pain. I do play checkers and shuffle board though. That don't hurt much. Fantasy football is something I don't know much about. I prefer rodeos.

But I do stand by my reply and still say that tipping line people is a done right good thing. I'm sure everyone thinks the same thing.

You guys are insane, of course they are going to charge you, you are using their ramp. Lets say that you are flying a 20M jet and you go to the so called "evil FBO" and while you are there something damages your aircraft, the FBO is now responsible, and their insurance premiums reflect that. So what gives you the right to think that you can go there, and not have to pay your fair share?

"Their Ramp" lol, that's the big misnomer man. Take MMU for expample. The operators of the airport have a sweatheart deal with the towns that own the place. The operators put signature in place to "Handle" traffic at the airport and get paid big time by signature. In fact, the ramp began years ago as the taxpayers ramp. Through lease deals and a private managment company the ramp became signature's and we now pay $300 to keep an airplane there for an hour. Do we really need two layers of profit making here? Let alone the monopoly FBO? It all started when the town stoped managing the place and put the lease up for sale.

At PWK Signature and NAJ paid for every cent of their ramps.

you are right young man-- I was definitely digging through the bowels of this website in order to resurrect this thread. As a retired pilot, I now have a lot of time on my wrinkled hands. My grand son flies for a regional airline out of IAH so I like to keep informed of what's happening in all sectors of aviation. In the old days, there were a few magazines but mostly we learned things from simply talking to other pilots.

Yes sirree, The internet is one of my favorite hobbies. In addition to reading flight info, I look at all types of neat things-- late last night, I found a website that had movies on it... it was pretty exciting, even for an old timer like me. I'm glad my wife don't know nothin' about it though-- she wouldn't approve most likely.

With golf, I try but my hemoroids act up some time. It's hard to play in pain. I do play checkers and shuffle board though. That don't hurt much. Fantasy football is something I don't know much about. I prefer rodeos.

But I do stand by my reply and still say that tipping line people is a done right good thing. I'm sure everyone thinks the same thing.

Sorry old man, posting at 0259 means the old prostate must be in a sort.

My grandpa said the cure was to have sex every night. Preferably with a different woman.

Another time (I was a young pup) he casually informed me that I had screwed up by ordering too much food. "Now, don't screw up again and try to eat it all too." He said.

Restaurant was kind of like a Cracker Barrel, but they didn't exist yet. Bet you've been there! Do ya git the grits too like Pa used to? He'd mash em up with butter and sugar.:laugh:

Last edited:
There definitely does seem to be a lot of disparity out there concerning ramp, handling, and service fees.

I sincerely agree that it's aggravating when you're charged a hefty parking/handling fee even if it's a "quick turn" or you don't require any services. It's especially frustrating when it's an airport and FBO that you frequent often-- you'd think that it'd exempt you once in a while (if not all of the time) from paying these charges as long as you usually buy fuel, etc.

As far as the whole tipping question is concerned, it seems to me that it's always good practice to tip the line guys even if the service is mediocre. I like to believe anyway that the tipping will at least possibly lead to good service during future visits. Of course, perhaps I'm too much of an optimist.

Last edited:
One of my favorite stories about Signature SFO. We were going back east in the GIV, had to buy 2500 gallons of fuel at over 5.00 a gallon. As I was paying the bill, they had these little credit card like breath mints on the front desk. I took one for me and one for the other pilot (who was in the bathroom). The chick behind the counter actually has the gall to say, "You're only suppose to take 1 of those mints." Over 12k worth of fuel, and this retard has the balls to chastise me over a pack of 50 cent mints. Hopefully one day the corporate revolution will happen and Signature will cease to exist.

Sorry old man, posting at 0259 means the old prostate must be in a sort.

My grandpa said the cure was to have sex every night. Preferably with a different woman.

Another time (I was a young pup) he casually informed me that I had screwed up by ordering too much food. "Now, don't screw up again and try to eat it all too." He said.

Restaurant was kind of like a Cracker Barrel, but they didn't exist yet. Bet you've been there! Do ya git the grits too like Pa used to? He'd mash em up with butter and sugar.:laugh:

Your Grandpa gave you good advice, sonny. As my high school english teacher (Mrs. Beaverton was her name), variety is always a good thing 'specially when it comes to the lady folk. It was great advice and I'll always remember it. She was a real special lady.

Also, thanks a bunch for worrying about my prostate. I was up late the other night but like I say before it was because of my hemoroids. They give me trouble sometimes and they feel like a rabbid cow is stomping on my knee caps. It don't feel real good let me tell ya! Plus, I got my internet movies that I've been watchin'. It sure is amazin' what you young folk do to each other these days. Why, I remember back in my day when "safe sex" meant having a bed party while wearing sun glasses. Boy, times sure have changed!

I'm not much of fan of grits-- not because I don't like them none but because I'm from Kanas. We eat wheat and steaks out here mostly.

Thanks for sharing your grandpa story. Us old folk do sometimes have worthwhile things to say. I'm glad you know that.

One of my favorite stories about Signature SFO. We were going back east in the GIV, had to buy 2500 gallons of fuel at over 5.00 a gallon. As I was paying the bill, they had these little credit card like breath mints on the front desk. I took one for me and one for the other pilot (who was in the bathroom). The chick behind the counter actually has the gall to say, "You're only suppose to take 1 of those mints." Over 12k worth of fuel, and this retard has the balls to chastise me over a pack of 50 cent mints. Hopefully one day the corporate revolution will happen and Signature will cease to exist.
Wow, you got screwed. I am looking at the pricing card right now, and 800 gallons will waive the 800 dollar landing fee.

ripoff

As pilots, we all keep an eye on cost, that is what we are supposed to do, but the basic operating cost are always there. The owner of the aircraft, wheth$$er is a 3 million dollar PC 12, or a 15 m:laugh: illion dollar Citation 680, is the one who is paying for it, paying for it all, and they knew or they now know that that is the price for corporate flying. My advice, it is not coming out of your pockit, be it the flowers they want, the special booze, magazines, ramp fee, or cost of fuel, per diem, whatever. This is and will always be the cost of moving fast when you want to. The bigger the aircraft, the more extravagant(SP) those cost are. The owner wants to go there, and he wants those things on the aircraft, so be it. It is his bankroll and his or her desire.

Latest resources

Back