What a rip-off....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Groundpounder said:
I am going to assume that your FBO has insurance, and pays some sort of lease for the land, and pays for you to work the front line, and has many other costs. So how does your FBO make money on aircraft that just do QT's and never take fuel? They are in fact losing money on those aircraft.

And hopefully you did more than marshall and chock the plane (i.e. help pax and crew with bags, put out the red carpet, and generally be a friendly smiling face at the a/c).

First of all, of course i helped the pax......read airnavs comments on the FBO im at. Its North American Aviation. We do the whole carpet treatment/door opening thing for eveyone. I just wasnt going to list EVERY LITTLE thing i do when a plane stops in for a QT when that wasnt the subject being discused. Now, we do have insurance and we do pay a lease on the ramp space. However we dont outragiously charge our customers for a 10 minutes stop over when they need a QT. Its not really a QT when we have to have the pilots go inside and handle the ramp fee rather then them trying to tent to the pax and getting situated for there flight. We make our money on the fuel and cargo fees. So, we are in FACT not losing money because we dont charge a stupid ramp fee. But if you want to fly 50 miles east over to PWK im sure they will NOT have any problems with givin you a ramp fee...Im sure they are making a killing.

So how does your FBO make money on aircraft that just do QT's and never take fuel? They are in fact losing money on those aircraft.

How does an FBO loose money on an aircraft they do nothing to? If the ramp maintenance is done by the airport authority, the line crew doesn't chock the plane, and the plane isn't blocking anyone in, then what is the difference?
I got charged $145 in STL the other day on a QT and didn't get parked, or anything. Part of it is a landing fee, but come on folks! This is getting to be highway robbery.

flyinlow67 said:
How does an FBO loose money on an aircraft they do nothing to? If the ramp maintenance is done by the airport authority, the line crew doesn't chock the plane, and the plane isn't blocking anyone in, then what is the difference?
I got charged $145 in STL the other day on a QT and didn't get parked, or anything. Part of it is a landing fee, but come on folks! This is getting to be highway robbery.

Look at one of my previous posts. If you are paying a ramp fee, and getting nothing in return, then you should complain, and refuse to pay the fee.

Anyway, the FBO I work for DOES charge ramp fees, and we have the highest fuel prices on the airport out of the four FBO's here. But, we are also the busiest on the field, and one of the top ten indepenent FBO's on ProPilots survey. Those ramp fee's go towards brand new equipment, and paying above average salarys so that we can have the best people possible working for us.

Last edited:
I guess I don't need to tip the line guy's anymore since they are being so handsomely paid by said FBO who is charging me to taxi into their ramp space.

Tigers said:
I guess I don't need to tip the line guy's anymore since they are being so handsomely paid by said FBO who is charging me to taxi into their ramp space.

Right.......I've been doing this 10 years, and I do ok, but trust me $5 is nice now and then.

Our company mandates that we do not use Mercury (BC of Ricci) and no Signature. Additionaly if we are there less than 15 minutes we never go in and pay the fee. Our company attorney found some clause for public use airports and sends them a letter with it attached and we never hear about it. We will probaly be out of busineess shortly!

KSUPILOT said:
Our company mandates that we do not use Mercury (BC of Ricci) and no Signature. Additionaly if we are there less than 15 minutes we never go in and pay the fee. Our company attorney found some clause for public use airports and sends them a letter with it attached and we never hear about it. We will probaly be out of busineess shortly!

Yes, please post it. It would be very helpful to all of us.

psysicx said:
I think that these FBO's need more competition.

Thats what im saying man....Some FBOs are just crazy when it comes to this crap. Im in IL and see alot of places where a good honest FBO could make alot of money..for instance DKB there is no longer an FBO there and it gets VERY busy on the weekends. PIA..Byerly is the only one there and they are expensive (line guys suck but the customer service inside is great).

Latest resources

Back