• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, today was the day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have been on almost every news TV show in the last couple days. This radio show is the first place you are finally able to get your side of the story out?

Yes, I had a full hour to let it rip. 4-5 minutes on live tv only gives me a chance to blurt out a few bullet points. I'm refining that 'elevator pitch' and getting more sleep now, so those gigs are improving, but the radio show above gives a lot more depth of perspective for those who are interested.

I was on CNN again this morning and did a local tv interview yesterday, also syndicated on CNN. Both of those are better than last week, but still very short and sweet.

I wonder what comparisons were made in 1930's Germany. Those opinions were dismissed as ludicrous then too. Not long after that, total gun control was complete, the Reich took over health care and dictated over every business - for the good of the people of course. What constitutional rights the people had were gone. After that, you were deemed to be a danger to society if you had the wrong name, said anything contrary to the regime or were merely accused you of being contrary by ANYONE. THEN, those posing a "danger" were sent to reeducation camps - many of whom didn't come back.

Then, as now, Hitler, et al., didn't force their way into power, They were supported by masses who want Hope, Change, and Safety. Well, they got their wish, didn't they.
I understand your concerns but you need to educate yourself a bit more when you want to mix the somewhat recent and dark history of Germany with US politics. May I suggest two links for you to read? (You should find the second one more disturbing)

US Tea Party Should Keep Its Hands Off Hitler

Why is This GOP House Candidate Dressed as a Nazi?

Since you seem to be interested in Germany (or German history), you may find it strange that hardly anyone in Germany compares Obama (or even GWB) to Hitler or even remotely agrees with your comparison. In Germany, the average student in school spends considerable more time on that subject than here in the US. Maybe it is time you hit the books again?

Y'all have a FANTASTIC day and do something good for yourselves, pick up a book and don't be a bunch of angry sciolists (<- not misspelled).

P.S. Sorry for the hijack.

previous reply

There's one thing though that worries me about body scanners: Possible radiation risk. The scanner by L-3 uses THZ-radiation. (some parts taken from another bb)

Terahertz radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Recent scientific research by university of Tel Aviv and Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico suggest health risks are present.

RARE Online - Terahertz Radiation Increases Genomic Instability in Human Lymphocytes

"Our results demonstrate that exposure of lymphocytes in vitro to a low power density of 0.1 THz radiation induces genomic instability. These findings, if verified, may suggest that such exposure may result in an increased risk of cancer."

Technology Review: Blogs: arXiv blog: How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA

"This should set the cat among the pigeons. Of course, terahertz waves are a natural part of environment, just like visible and infrared light. But a new generation of cameras are set to appear that not only record terahertz waves but also bombard us with them. And if our exposure is set to increase, the question that urgently needs answering is what level of terahertz exposure is safe."
This is what I had posted regarding body scanners and their possible health risks. Do you think the average TSA screener is aware what (s)he is sending the pax and crew members through?

Last edited:
Are you doing any book signings yet?

Four Letters...F F D O
Works good,lasts a long time. I get a thrill EVERY TIME I sashay past those knuckle dragging,incestuous retards.

Do TSA employees go through these procedures before entering the secure area? BTW, if every pilot one day elected to follow this guy's example it might get someone's attention at how stupid this whole TSA process is.

Exactly.

Seems to be working on some SpatialD,

APA president advises against new body scanners
5:45 PM Mon, Nov 01, 2010 | Permalink
Terry Maxon/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Allied Pilots Association president Dave Bates is suggesting that American Airlines pilots go through a pat-down search by Transportation Security Administration personnel rather undergo the repeated radiation from the "advanced imaging technology" body scanners used at many airports.

That doesn't mean he likes the pat-downs, which can include hand-sliding over the groin and buttocks.

"There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning experience," Bates told members in a message Monday.

"In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to protect their privacy and dignity," he wrote.

He wants TSA to come up with a way to let pilots avoid the same high-intensity searches that the public endures at TSA checkpoints.

"While I'm sure that each of us recognizes that the threats to our lives are real, the practice of airport security screening of airline pilots has spun out of control and does nothing to improve national security," Bates wrote.

"It's long past time that policymakers take the steps necessary to exempt commercial pilots from airport security screening and grant designated pilot access to SIDA utilizing either Crew Pass or biometric identification."

Keep reading for the entire Bates message.

Fellow Pilots,

In response to increased threats to civil aviation around the world, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has implemented the use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners at some airport locations.

While I'm sure that each of us recognizes that the threats to our lives are real, the practice of airport security screening of airline pilots has spun out of control and does nothing to improve national security. It's long past time that policymakers take the steps necessary to exempt commercial pilots from airport security screening and grant designated pilot access to SIDA utilizing either Crew Pass or biometric identification. As I recently wrote to the TSA Administrator:

"Our pilots are highly motivated partners in the effort to protect our nation's security, with many of us serving as Federal Flight Deck Officers. We are all keenly aware that we may serve as the last line of defense against another terrorist attack on commercial aviation. Rather than being viewed as potential threats, we should be treated commensurate with the authority and responsibility that we are vested with as professional pilots."

It is important to note that there are "backscatter" AIT devices now being deployed that produce ionizing radiation, which could be harmful to your health. Airline pilots in the United States already receive higher doses of radiation in their on-the-job environment than nearly every other category of worker in the United States, including nuclear power plant employees. As I also stated in my recent letter to the Administrator of the TSA:

"We are exposed to radiation every day on the job. For example, a typical Atlantic crossing during a solar flare can expose a pilot to radiation equivalent to 100 chest X-rays per hour. Requiring pilots to go through the AIT means additional radiation exposure. I share our pilots' concerns about this additional radiation exposure and plan to recommend that our pilots refrain from going through the AIT. We already experience significantly higher radiation exposure than most other occupations, and there is mounting evidence of higher-than-average cancer rates as a consequence."

It's safe to say that most of the APA leadership shares my view that no pilot at American Airlines should subject themselves to the needless privacy invasion and potential health risks caused by the AIT body scanners. I therefore recommend that the pilots of American Airlines consider the following guidelines:

1. Use designated crew lines if available.
2. Politely decline AIT exposure and request alternative screening.

3. There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning experience. In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to protect their privacy and dignity.

4. If screening delays your arrival at the cockpit, do not cut corners that jeopardize the safety of the flight. Consummate professionalism and safety are always paramount.

5. Maintain composure and professionalism at all times and recognize that you are probably being videotaped.

6. If you feel that you have been treated with less than courtesy, respect and professionalism, please submit an observer report to APA. Please be sure to include the time, date, security checkpoint and name of the TSA employee who performed the screening. Avoid confrontation.

7. Your APA Board of Directors and National Officers are holding a conference call this week to discuss these issues and further guidance may be forthcoming.

While I cannot promise results tomorrow, I pledge to dedicate APA resources in the days and weeks to come to achieve direct access to SIDA for the pilots of American Airlines. In the meantime, I am confident that you will continue to exhibit your usual utmost professionalism as you safely operate and protect our nation's air transport system.

Everyone in the industry should get their groups to adopt this standard and if necessary shut down the airline industry for a day to illustrate the absurdity of the TSA procedures for flight crewmembers that are in CASS.

Yeah, that APA statement is huge. I still say any unwelcome, unprovoked contact, even behind closed doors, is still unacceptable. But imagine if everyone - AA crews, other airline employees, and even pax were to adopt this practice. All the private rooms would be occupied, there'd be a line out the door of people waiting for their turn to be privately molested, flights would be delayed all over the place, and the whole system would grind to a standstill. Not bad for those who just can't seem to stand up and reject being illegally assaulted outright.

Latest resources

Back