• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, there's about 1,000 more on the street

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know this was a naive thought on my part, but when I got hired here almost 10 years ago, I told my wife I had finally made it...someplace to retire from.:erm:

I have said those same exact words, twice. Next job I will say I am going to work until I die. :bawling:

i have been led to believe that UPS does not carry DG, how much/many contracts and DG shipments does DHL have? and are they 'profitable'?

I don't know about UPS carrying it, but having worked with USPS before ABX I know they will not deliver it.

Last edited:
In as much as UPS may/will be hiring additional pilots to fly DHL freight, preferential interviews for those of us who's jobs will be lost to Big Brown would be much appreciated.

DC8

Did they say that they will need to hire? I assumed that DHL has lost so much of the market share that what is left could fit in a couple rollaboard suitcases.

Last edited:
working with anyone isnt going to do anything but give DHL a smooth transition. So why do it. STOP THE FRIEGHT FROM MOVING. Its the only thing they understand. Maybe instead of losing a billion you can cause them to lose 10 billion. Either way get some satisfaction that in the last 12 months you didnt get taken advantage of.

The only thing you should be doing is cranking up the barby across from the hub and all ASTAR and ABX Employees, truck drivers cafeteria people, mechanics and janitors join in. Invite the media and watch the airplanes and freight sit. Make the biggest spectacle that you can out of it.

Some of you are worried, give them something to worry about. UNITE NOW AND STOP THE FREIGHT !!!!!!!!

I believe this is the law book definition of what your talking about...(I THINK)

A whipsaw strike (also called a selective strike)[1] is a strike by a trade union against only one or a few employers in an industry or a multi-employer association at a time. The strike is often of a short duration, and usually recurrs during the labor dispute or contract negotiations—hence the name "whipsaw."

best wishes

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. I would hope that all abx and astar pilots could arange some kind of preferential hiring to ups. Does anyone know how many total pilots will be affected by this decision? Will the other companies under the abx holding company be losing jobs too? I was about to go into and interview with ATI in a couple of weeks and everyone I have met there seems like such good people. I wish the best to all of you.

This whole thing reminds me of when FedEx stole all the USPS flying and screwed Ryan & Express One. (among others)

this is like abused wife syndrome. While your worried about how the hazmat is gonna get transported, preferential interviews with UPS (ask CAT, EMERY and Challenge about that), and how the freight is gonna be dropping off, Hete, Das, and the germans are getting a plan on how to manipulate the labor to keep working. I guarrentee they will.

Ive had the doors close on me twice in my aviation career. Both times we had promises and guarantees. Then one day you call and you learn you have no job. Great satisfaction, I got knowing I helped them with a smooth transition and Im on the street.

How many of those 76's have cargo doors ? They will have to be converted inorder to be used in the acmi world. Whos gonna pay and where is the money gonna come from. The stock is in the toilet. No one is gonna invest money. Unless they come up with contracts and a guaranteed income.

You "professional aviators" are going to be proud of yourselves flying night after night working your butts off so they can make a good transition. Just wait until they start selling the 76s to UPS. Gonna be a fire sale to UPS so the stock can get some integrity back so the management can sell it and make more money.

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs. I cant stand it !! But your destiny has been written. But you can control its ending. You can write how the last chapter ends.

Shut the place down and celebrate as hete, das and the germans scratch their heads and worry. Why should you lose sleep while they sleep soundly at night ?

when you look back you will at least feel better knowing you went down with dignity.

On another note.....do pilots get 18 months of unemployment?

Latest resources

Back