• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, there's about 1,000 more on the street

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That exact question was asked of the DPWN execs at Tueday's press conf.; they seem to think the customer won't notice that part.

Dear MF,

Where did you get the rumored 90 Day schedule for shut down? That is the first I have heard of that. Thanks in advance.

Dear Clipperskip,

The 90 day schedule for shutdown is the first that I've heard of that as well. I honestly hope it's nothing like that, because personally, I don't want to be out of work in 90 days.
There is no reliable source that I know of for that 90 day thing; this is a message board and I'm just passing along information for those interested in reading.

Man, I feel sorry for you. I have a friend who owns a small business. I called him today and told him the goings on- he promptly canceled his DHL account.

Oh, how do ya'all like my signature?

Sorry if this has already been posted, but pretty interesting read that explains how ABX/ASTAR/DHL are related:

"The death roll for ASTAR and ABX Air began long ago. The relationship to DHL has been convoluted and confusing at best.

DHL began shipping flowers from Hawaii to California in the late sixties in a DC6. By 1972 they had an air carrier certificate. Over the years they grew from Metros to 727, DC8's and A300's. The relocated to Cincinnati in 1983. What most of us refer to as DHL was actually DHL Airways, a wholly owned subsidiary of DHL Worldwide.

DHL Airways was historically a good company to work for. Good people and good equipment. Not in the league with UPS and FedEx. But a small group of good people.

However, the setup for outsourcing and whipsawing began many years ago. Other than the U.S. air division known as DHL Airways, DHL Worlwide was not in the airline business completely. Most of their overseas flying (inter-Europe, Asia, etc) was and is, done by "contractors".

DHL Worldwide was a privately owned company until a few years ago when it was sold to the Germans. To get around the foreign ownership rules, they spun off DHL Airways, and formed ASTAR Air Cargo. ASTAR became just another contractor for what had been their parent company.ASTAR is headed up by former Northwest and Burger King CEO, John Dasburg. Under his rule, employee relations and morale sank to new lows.

ABX Air, formerly Airborne Express, found themselves in a similar situation. Originally owned by Airborne Freight Corp, ABX Air was spun off.

The new German owned DHL bought Airborne Express. Howver, what they bought was all the freight operation, trucking division, sort facility in Wilmington, Ohio, and the airport. However, they did not buy ABX Air.

What you had left was ASTAR and ABX competing for contracts under the ACMI agreements. Not that different than what Eagle, Comair, Mesa, Air Wisconsin, etc, does for the mainline carriers.

Thus, they found themselves being whipsawed by their foreign master, DHL/Deuche Post. Just another contractor to be beaten down.

The strength of UPS and FedEx has always been they invest and maintain their own "mainline" carrier, with very little "feed" from contractors. Direct control of their own air carrier allows them to maintain the quality control they need. It probably costs more initially, however, over the long term, I'm sure the benefits far outweigh the costs. Otherwise, UPS would be contracting their airlift as they had in the past.

In the meantime, keep our fellow pilots at ASTAR and ABX in your thoughts as they struggle through some very difficult and uncertain days ahead. If they do close down ABX and ASTAR within 90 days as has been threatened, we must assist them in every way getting home.

I wish them the best. It highlights yet another example of how globalization is impacting every facet of our lives. Not even the stability of freight is guaranteed any longer."

Good summary MF, though there are a few minor errors in the history. Also, ABX and Astar are the number 3 and 4 highest paying jobs in the airline industry today. For now.

In as much as UPS may/will be hiring additional pilots to fly DHL freight, preferential interviews for those of us who's jobs will be lost to Big Brown would be much appreciated.

DC8

I'm sure this is foremost in their minds, just ask any Challenge or Emery pilot about the "preferential interview they received".

I said it before on another one of your threads, the writing's been on the wall for some time now. Anyone of you who sticks around even for another day flying DHL freight deserves everything they get. They've made it plain they don't want your services, why not bail and beat the rush?

I've been to this pony show in Dayton, and believe me I know your pain. I can tell you that waiting until the end does not make it easier. Good luck

Mmmmhhh...yeah....I've already got my brown shoes out polishing them up. Expecting my phone to ring any minute now.
Well, we've been wearing black shoes for a while now... ;)

I'm sure you've heard it already but I wanted to reemphasize that UPS pilots had nothing to do with the decision DHL took and that we do support you and truly hope that the jobs will not be lost or that you will be able to get preferential interviews at Big Brown…

UPS is looking at the DHL agreement in the same terms they look at the postal contract Fedex and to a much smaller extent UPS got with the US Post Office.

'We fly it in and they (Post Office & DHL) deliver'...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the news, ABX and Astar guys and girls.

Considering that UPS already has a gigantic worldwide air/ground network, and considering that DHL freight in the U.S. is now going to be carried by UPS, why would anyone ship with DHL anymore anyway? Couldn't they just ship with UPS in the first place and cut out the middle man, or am I missing something?

:confused:
Well, I see your point but do you realize that many times when you send a regular letter at the post office it might be flown by the post office (they still have airplanes, right?), or Fedex, UPS, Delta, Airtran, etc and then delivered by your mailman (or is it mailperson nowadays)??

I too feel very sorry for the Abx and the Astar employees..

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back