• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well Stated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...thank you for choosing Big Kahuna Airlines... Keep in mind your fellow pilots on your way out of the aircraft as we'll leave our hats for you to show your appreciation and leave some gratuity! Once again, sit back relax and open you wallet...

Gufstream-

Why can't an 18 year-old make more? For that matter, I know that most college grads earn around $40K for their first year (in the business field among others). I hear what you are saying and I would agree with most of it except that we in the airline world are definately not crying - we are campainging! When Delta pilots got furloughed and management got bonuses, it really sent a message to those of us in the labor force. That message was stand up for yourselves, which is what we are trying to do. This is only one part, and it seems to be working. Ironically, pilots like yourself seem hellbent on fighting us instead of supporting us. That's laughable, in a very sad way!

ThisistheDream said:
you can say that its your fault for taking that job with crappy pay, but the problem is you cant from point A to C without going to thru point B, which is usually a crappy paying job whether its flying or any career field.
Once again, it would'nt have to be crappy pay. The pilots who continue to take these jobs are the only ones to blame for the continued sub standard wages.

But the big difference and problem here is that the airlines crappy pay as an FO for regionals is SO LOW its robbery!!!!
Cmon...if it were robery, you would'nt have every joe schmo signing up to do it. It's simple supply v. demand. The company knows you'll accept it, so they offer it. If you ran a company you'd do the same thing. You's be stupid not to.

If corporate america knew what the airlines paided 1st year pilots at the regionals, they would lower entry level jobs from 30-35K to 25K overnight.
No they wouldnt. That is not unless they could continue to get people to sign up for those jobs. Then they would be stupid not to do it.

And would the people say well i am not taking that crappy corporate job cuase they pays is pad for the 1st 5years.
Yes, and they do. I did it with the regionals.

The only way we can change this is with our unions when we the pilots currently flying at the airlines say enough of this welfare pay and require with out new contract that starting pay is somewhat liveable!!
I doubt it. What has your union done for you lately? The history speaks volumes about the future.

until we say no to making 18k ayear it will continue and a problem
Now you're gettin it.

Imagine pilots caring about other pilots, thats a scary thought, but thats the only way i see the pay getting liveable for regional FO's.
How about caring for yourself. You will be very disappointed if you go thru life hoping other people will help you out. Secure your own future.

If the passengers knew how much regional FO's really made, I wouldnt be surprised to see the passengers give them a tip for real.
When will people understand that pax could care less what you are paid. Oh, they might be surprised. But they're not gonna sacrifice their ticket price to give you a raise.

We give cabbies, van drivers tip cuase we fell they dont make much so we give them a tip to help them out and say thanks. i could see this happening easily if the passengers really knew how much we made!!!
I don't tip b/c of how much they make. I tip when a service has exceeded my expectations. If that were the case I'd tip school teachers and policemen. Not pilots.

PS- I don't want you to think I am against you getting paid better. I really do hope there are increases in the regional pay. I just think there are obvious reasons why that has yet to happen.

DrunkIrishman said:
Gufstream-

Why can't an 18 year-old make more? For that matter, I know that most college grads earn around $40K for their first year (in the business field among others). I hear what you are saying and I would agree with most of it except that we in the airline world are definately not crying - we are campainging! When Delta pilots got furloughed and management got bonuses, it really sent a message to those of us in the labor force. That message was stand up for yourselves, which is what we are trying to do. This is only one part, and it seems to be working. Ironically, pilots like yourself seem hellbent on fighting us instead of supporting us. That's laughable, in a very sad way!

no way man, Im not fighting you one bit...

but you dont even have a fight to go to!!!

Its simple, you cant accept a job then turn around a year later and DEMAND more because its not a liveable wage.

Your management/owners are laughing thier a$$es off at you.

Just step aside and let the next fool strap on the poly uniform......

Boo-Hoo, let me pass this guy some tissue. He made his bed and must lie in it now. I love these guys who pi$$ and moan about how bad they have it knowing darn well what the pay and QOL was when they started. NEWS ALERT..... Always been this way and ain't never going to change. Too many starving CFI's out there dying to get in. If you have a wife and 2 kids and commute ect. ect. GET THE HE.LL OUT AND DO SOMETHING OUT. For those us of who love the job/pay/QOL, SHUT THE FCKU UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

well OK. I guess that sums this one up, huh?

Its simple, you cant accept a job then turn around a year later and DEMAND more because its not a liveable wage.
If the contract is up and in negiotiations then is the pilot whining if they say as part of the new contract we want to be paid more?, because it sounds like what is being said is that they should continue and accept what the company offers.

we are talking about making 18k-20k your 1st year not 25k which is still low. regardless of the arguements the pay is to low at 18-20K a year starting. that is too low for any job that requires a degree which most airlines want in addition to thousands of dollars of your own money to get the required ratings to get the job. yeah call it supply and demand but agian we are talking 18k-20k a year for a professional job. I am not complaining i am trying to campaign since i know what it is like to be at 1st year pay, making less than a excon working as a night janitor. 20K a year turns into 9.61 dollars an hour at 40 hours a week after all said and done with taxes, health ins. taken out your looking at around 1000-1100 dollars a month take home. as far as supply and demand goes there seems to be more than enough lawyers, doctors, teachers, mechanics around trying to get jobs than there are jobs available in that profession but they still get livable wages, so why dont other profession do the same with 1st year low pay. I think the airlines take advantage of the situation, but again i say 18-20K, and before you say its your fault for taking the job just think how low that its when you break it down and compare to other jobs. we might as well work in a sweat shop cuase thats what the airlines are basically doing to pilots with the current low pay.

ThisistheDream said:
we are talking about making 18k-20k your 1st year not 25k which is still low. regardless of the arguements the pay is to low at 18-20K a year starting. that is too low for any job that requires a degree which most airlines want in addition to thousands of dollars of your own money to get the required ratings to get the job. yeah call it supply and demand but agian we are talking 18k-20k a year for a professional job.
I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It is way too low. I for one would never accept that wage. But unfortunately some would. Therein lies your problem.

as far as supply and demand goes there seems to be more than enough lawyers, doctors, teachers, mechanics around trying to get jobs than there are jobs available in that profession but they still get livable wages, so why dont other profession do the same with 1st year low pay.

Because the pilot profession is a hobby to most people. It is the best job ever created IMO. And mgmt. know it. Doctors, lawyers, mechanics live a different life than we do. Let's face it, I don't want to work a desk job. And they know Joe Schmo will sell his soul to wear a poly suit (as G200 put very nicely.) As far as teachers, police, etc. go...I don't know where you live but they make about the same as a first year regional f/o here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back