• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weird Sim-isms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The sim was down for maintenance so we just got a peak of the visuals. Snowing 757's in the 777 sim at FSI. Apparently there is a certain combination of failures at the instructor panel that will cause the snowing Boeings.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Playing around in a freight carrier 767 sim, we landed downtown (with crash inhibit on) and taxied through a stadium wall- to see an actual football game going on!
Flight safety had a sim start smoking, the trainees actually put their oxygen(non operative) and goggles on because they thought it was a part of training! I heard that one second hand, but it's so funny it's just gotta be true.

I just wonder how board the designer really get while writing up these programs. :D

Kinda like all the goofy stuff you find in video games if you hit the right sequence of buttons and all. :p

Possessed...

SD3 @ FSI in LGA. Coulda sworn that thing was possessed. Granted it was old but, using a cockpit from a wreck has got to play some sort of a part in the wierd stuff going on there.:eek: Definitly gave me the creeps a few times.

Pretty suspicious in my mind that the hydraulics would give out at the most inopportune time, ie: a point whereby the collapse would hurt the most. Still hurts to think about.

Similar to Eddie landing 50' below.. I had the pleasure of being resurrected, a few times while on approach the lights descended/we climbed into them. Either way you want to put it, it sure felt like we were flying out from below ground.... a few other things I can't remember at the moment, or perhaps I've permanently blocked them out due to trama, I'm just not sure. Don't say you haven't been warned.;)

I've forgotten which airport, but at the Flight Safety ERJ sim in Wilmington, Delaware, if you taxi slowly through the hangar at a certain airport, you arrive at a orange 737 with a capt in the cockpit with a smile on his face and a FA's legs sticking up from the FO's postion!!! Gettin' a hummer.....ya gotta love it!

True Story.

SIMS

When pushing back from the CVG gate, the usual, then when we stopped rolling backwards (as if we slammed on the brakes), the nose went up, the tail down, tail struck and blew up! It happened a number of times, even the checkairman scatched his head, it was fun. I heard it happed for real, the ramper was pushing so fast when she/he stopped, the pin broke, so the pilots reaction was to apply the brakes, when they did, the tail struck! OOPS, rampers............slow down.

Re: SIMS

Tooslow said:
...pushing back from the CVG gate...when we stopped rolling backwards...the nose went up, the tail down, tail struck and blew up! I heard it happed for real, the ramper was pushing so fast when she/he stopped, the pin broke, so the pilots reaction was to apply the brakes, when they did, the tail struck!
Yeah, but did it blow up? :eek:

No, I quess it just crushed the ACARS and fairing fins..... The managers of the rampers blew up when they found out they where pushing that fast.....................

FSI Lear Sim at Tuscon

On roll out decelerating thru 100 knots a vehicle goes racing by spinning out of control then quickly disappears.

Needless to say I did not maintain centerline.

Last edited:
The funniest thing I saw was during my last PC check. I was doing a check with the chief pilot. We had the oral together then the chief pilot was to do the check the first 2 hours and I was to follow. We had a line first officer filling in from the right seat. During the chief pilots check I was observing from the back. We were shooting a hand-flow ILS to 100 feet with one engine(mandatory for our training)Just as we broke out the sim operator pulled a Fedex DC-10 out on the runway and said nothing. The chief pilot looked up to land only to see the screen filled with DC-10. He reacted and we went around just missing the tail of the 10. Myself and the sim instructor were laughing so hard we couldn't contain ourselves. Our chief pilot was so into that approach that I am sure by his reaction that he thought that DC-10 was real. He is a superb pilot and had it been real he flew us out of it with one-engine, he did a geat job.

Latest resources

Back