Weird Sim-isms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Birdstrike said:
Plate said tower closed after 2300, use alt minimums. I failed to note that our sim T/O time was 0130. I flew a great ILS to normal minimums...and busted the ride.
Oh now that's nit-picky! :eek:

(The I.P. should have included the time of day in the brief, I think...)

Flight Safety - ICT, Lear 35 sim. The instructor hopped in the seat and said watch this.... He set the parking brake gave it full throttle and proceded to hover straight up to 500 feet without moving forward an inch!

While flying the ILS back course, you have two choices to get correct sensing. In the HSI it doesn't matter; always set the front course. However, on a round dial omni head, flying the back course inverted will produce normal sensing. Think about it.

At FSI in the Sabre, before we ever got to any other work, we were told that everyone who goes through wants to fly through the St. Louis arch. We did a vertical climb in the jet to about 500' (airspeed and feel, but no forward motion), and then we were allowed to fly forward and through the arch. Then turn and come back. Whoopee...not.

Birdstrike-

The check airman that busted you seriously needs a girlfriend.

I'll bet he isn't able to live up to that kind of scrutiny himself.

The position, unfortunately, often seems to attract those who don't really have the personality for it. Guess they have something to prove. Losers.

What I like to do to intsrument students when they're doing real good is have them shoot an ILS and then crank the winds up to a speed that exceeds approach speed. After they fly "back through" the FAF and the markers sound I usually ask them where they are on the approach and get a look of mystery. It is cruel but always a good laugh. We use the Frasca 142 sim w/ Gist instructor interface, the AST hawk 300 works too, not sure about others.

The CRJ sims at SLC have a three or four-masted clipper ship programmed in...so you can be taxiing out for takeoff and watch a ship slide down the glideslope and make a nice landing. It can also be used as a target for an RA during TCAS demos... it's easy to spot with those huge sails hanging in the breeze.

I've also looked back at the instructor during a checkride and have seen them playing various computer games, reading the newspaper, making cell phone calls, etc. It makes me a bit more relaxed, since I figure I'm doing a good enough job for them not to be watching like a hawk.

Also, who's flown a sim at LAX and NOT flown through the Spider inverted? Standard sim shenanigans, I guess.

Most C-130's don't use JATO any more (just the arctic/antarctic birds, & the Blue Angels' Fat Albert), but it is still hooked up in some of the simulators. So there he was (friend of a friend, you know), two engines out, utility hydraulics gone, flaps stuck at something other than up, gear stuck down, out of altitude & airspeed & ideas all at about the same time and still a couple miles to go to get to the runway...

... and the copilot remembers what somebody told him about JATO being hooked up. Guarded switch up arms the system, green light comes on (gee, never seen THAT light up in the real airplane!), push the button... WHOOOSH! (just like the Impala!)

I've heard it worked, once!

Latest resources

Back