• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weight restricted? Grrr...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a privilege afforded by the captain, not the gate agent.
Wrong. It's a privilege accorded by a company as a courtesy. A captain is given discretion in refusing or allowing a jumpseat, but it's still not your right, and the fact is that if you don't make it past the gate agent then you don't get to petition the captain.

Again, it's not your right. Stop whining, grow up, and walk away.

And sadly, thats about the best way to sum it up in this day and age. The JS has become one of the true ultimate erosions of PIC authority.
Then don't allow for the loss of that authority. If you want to keep that authority...get your butt out of the left seat, walk to the gate, and ask the agent "Hey, is there anyone trying to jumpseat with us today?". The best solutions are oftentimes the easiest ones...

Then don't allow for the loss of that authority. If you want to keep that authority...get your butt out of the left seat, walk to the gate, and ask the agent "Hey, is there anyone trying to jumpseat with us today?". The best solutions are oftentimes the easiest ones...

Is that what you do ?

Not for Go-Jets scum.

Is that what you do ?
Haha...you're so funny. :puke:

Well, since the vast majority of you guys that post on here want to whine about the "erosion of captain's authority" yet offer no solutions...I offer a one that I've seen work for others. Take charge, be a leader, and all that other captain-y crap...quit whining and do something. Jesus Tapdancin' Christ...

As a guy that practically almost commutes home to DFW every week or so, as well as a one-time gate agent, I'm not clueless as to the etiquette of the jumpseat...on both the captain's end of things and the gate agent's end of things. I hear pilots complain about their problems with getting on the jumpseat...yet, I have little to no problems in comparison (and that's saying something, being a dispatcher, where the typical response is "are you sure you can jumpseat?" from pilot and gate agent alike). Not just DFW, either...pretty much every major hub and alot of outstations...with most airlines.

Wanna get past the gate agents? It's all about your attitude. Show up to their gate with one and they will go out of their way to ensure you don't get on. Be courteous and respectful and most will go out of their way to help you. Oh, and if you commute from the smaller outstations, be in full on kiss-a$$ mode at all times...they will remember you. I've lied to OAL pilots about jumpseat availability when they were a-holes...and I've bumped revenue pax that were in "questionable condition to fly" in order to get a pilot on.

Also, I'm a big believer in Jumpseat Karma.

If they say they are weight restricted, calmly and courteously ask if there's any chance you can speak with the captain. Decide to cop attitude, and see the paragraph above. They don't know you guys can sometimes make the numbers work...and you can't expect them to know that.

I know I shouldn't have to give a grade-school primer in jumpseating...but I swear, sometimes I feel like I should teach an ettiquite class or something with the things I see and hear about out there.

Walter:

I certainly did not cop an attitude with the agent, before or after. I'm always polite, and I usually bring them coffee or pastries. I probably should have asked to speak with the captain, but I guess I'd rather keep a low profile and bitch about it here.

Walter:

I certainly did not cop an attitude with the agent, before or after. I'm always polite, and I usually bring them coffee or pastries. I probably should have asked to speak with the captain, but I guess I'd rather keep a low profile and bitch about it here.

that's fine. you could also accept the fact they were overweight and couldn't take you. I've left people behind when the numbers were way out of whack and it's been done to me plenty. also, 30 minutes past departure would not be the best time to go talk to the crew. It's nothing personal.

A smart commuter begins to make his life easier by taking care of the people who take care of him, namely the agents who are the gatekeepers... No pun intended.

A few kind words, a smile, the occasional candy bar and helping toss some carry ons around has gone a long way toward me developing a very good relationship with the agents in the cities I commute in and out of. Treating them like talking furniture won't get you very far.

When it comes to getting me to work, agents for whom I have helped out or been kind too have been more than willing to bend a few rules here and there when things are tight. Nothing illegal, mind you. Remember they have the power, albeit temporary, to make your life a pretty miserable thing. Act accordingly.

Those are good points, but by the time the gate agent booted me, the flight was already 30 minutes late. I hadn't spoken to (or bribed) the captain. As for the previous responses, you're telling me they don't have enough flexibility to fudge 200lbs on a 50,000lb airplane? Brilliant. I always make the numbers work for a jumpseater.

You're kidding right?

On a 200 mile flight, the CRJ-200 is weight limited to about 45 pax on a clear day. On a bad weather day with an alternate or two, you'd be lucky to get 35 on. It is landing weight limited to 47,000 lbs plus the enroute fuel burn. Which would be about 2200 lbs on that flight. Do the math, pal. Now, do you want some cheese with that whine?

You're kidding right?

On a 200 mile flight, the CRJ-200 is weight limited to about 45 pax on a clear day. On a bad weather day with an alternate or two, you'd be lucky to get 35 on. It is landing weight limited to 47,000 lbs plus the enroute fuel burn. Which would be about 2200 lbs on that flight. Do the math, pal. Now, do you want some cheese with that whine?

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but do you even fly the CRJ-200? 35 passengers on a bad weather day? Are you kidding me? The most restricted I've ever personally seen with an alternate and a boatload of fuel and bags has been at 48, possibly 47, passengers. That happens rarely. I haven't experienced any clear weather problems with weight on the -200 at my airline, and we fly a lot of routes like ORD-MKE/MSN/AZO/MLI/PIA/SPI etc.... If the weather is good then we can carry a full boat plus jumpseater.

Latest resources

Back