Wearing your uni outside the work place

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Truckdriver said:
Why can't you just pull your overnight t-shirt out of your overnight bag and change? Heck, I've stripped down and changed my whole atire in the WM parking lot just so I wouldn't have to strut around looking like a tool. The worst is when someone takes off everything except their captain stripes. That way everyone can call them "captain". If it is that big of an issue you have some serious mental problems.

By the same token, I would argue that if de-identifying oneself is such a big issue to a pilot, then that person also has some problems (no disrespect to you personally). I'm with Bluto on this one...just go in, take care of business, and leave. Why trouble myself with removing all of the "regalia" (and risk losing one of those stupid brass things that hold the wings and nametag on) or changing in a parking lot just to avoid "looking like a tool"? I agree that the uniform is conspicuous and attracts attention, but so what?

One significant exception would be if I were buying alcohol, however.

Josh M.

"The worst is when someone takes off everything except their captain stripes. That way everyone can call them "captain". "

Umm.. people don't have a clue between 3 and 4 stripes. You're always captain to the average joe on the street.

I know a Captain that wears his uniform everytime he goes to weddings, funerals, birthday parties, etc.etc.
What a DORK!

PeanuckleCRJ said:
Umm.. people don't have a clue between 3 and 4 stripes. You're always captain to the average joe on the street.

Or people at work. Walk up to the gate? "Mornin' captain." Go out to do the walkaround? "Sup captain!" "Do you have a fuel load captain?" Even airline employees don't know. I think the only people that care are pilots...

I was wearing my uniform while driving to the airport for my last trip (dorky I know). While stopped at a light these two chicks (19ish) drive up next to me and were positively gawking. They roll their window down, I return the favor, we briefly discuss our destinations, and then the danm light turned green. Believe me, that NEVER happens when I'm wearing a T-shirt. I can't stand uniform dorks, but by accident, I realized that cool stuff can happen...

I was wearing my uniform while driving to the airport for my last trip (dorky I know). While stopped at a light these two chicks (19ish) drive up next to me and were positively gawking. They roll their window down, I return the favor, we briefly discuss our destinations, and then the danm light turned green. Believe me, that NEVER happens when I'm wearing a T-shirt. I can't stand uniform dorks, but by accident, I realized that cool stuff can happen...

ahaha. hahaha. hahahahahahahaah.

the guys that are funny to me are the ones that come on flightinfo and say" I saw a guy from (insert airline) in uniform walking around the grocery store in , what a tool" but they never say they went up to the guy and told them what they thought, only on flightinfo.

I don't give enough of a rat's @ss to care what anyone in the store thinks of me. If the store is between the airport and home---uni stays on

Cardinal said:
That doesn't happen to me, but I'm fat!!!!

Latest resources

Back