We could learn from Chinese pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fliteidol

Pretty courageous.....could earn a one way ticket to the salt mines. 99 year contract anyone!

China pay row pilots 'turn back'

_44535945_chinaeastern22bb_ap.jpg
China Eastern saw flights from Kunming disrupted

A row over pay at several Chinese airlines has seen pilots disrupt flights, according to state media.
At China Eastern Airlines, 14 pilots turned back mid-flight blaming bad weather, despite other aircraft travelling normally, the reports said.
And there are claims that other pilots co-ordinated "sick days" - with about 40 Shanghai Airlines crew not coming to work on one day last month.
They are reportedly angry over deals tying them to their employer.
Rare protest
Pilots have been told to sign 99-year deals with state-owned airlines which force them to pay up to 2.1 million yuan ($300,000; £150,000) if they quit, China Radio International said.
The contracts are thought to be aimed at stopping the poaching of pilots by rival carriers.
The station added that China's Civil Aviation Administration had held an emergency meeting to address the problem - with threats of life bans issued for those found responsible for organising the action. China Eastern said that the 14 pilots who took off from Kunming, in the south west of the country, before returning to the airport, had done so because of the weather. Industrial action is rare in China - where unauthorised protests and trade unions are banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7328000.stm

Last edited:
Thats Courage boys..........If you do something like that, going against the country leader, not only do you risk your job but put yourself into serious peril.

Wish we had some balls like that to implement change.

- with threats of life bans issued for those found responsible for organising the action...
Does that mean what I think it does? This is China we're talking about. :eek:

That does take balls when your life is on the line. 99 year contract seems odd, do the Chinese pilots really have 99 years of good flying in them. A normal pilot usually starts to degrade after 80 years of flying. Maybe it's all the rice....

I am sitting at a local hostel in Gulin China, with my wife and 2 children typing this. Been here 2 weeks this time and have had 2 trips before. Much of what you hear about China in the states is just not true. Seeing some of these posts just makes me laugh at people who hear something in a bar one night and then quote it as truth. Not that the Chinese government is a model for anyone, but I think propaganda goes both ways.

BTW, you know all the "BANNED" internet sites in China? Well, I havent found one yet, and Im using a local public Wifi.

Well try Tianamen square and see if you find any mention of any political uprisings/events that have taken place. Or maybe a free tibet site. or a good ol bangbus.com

Latest resources

Back