• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We could learn from Chinese pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sitting at a local hostel in Gulin China, with my wife and 2 children typing this. Been here 2 weeks this time and have had 2 trips before. Much of what you hear about China in the states is just not true. Seeing some of these posts just makes me laugh at people who hear something in a bar one night and then quote it as truth. Not that the Chinese government is a model for anyone, but I think propaganda goes both ways.

BTW, you know all the "BANNED" internet sites in China? Well, I havent found one yet, and Im using a local public Wifi.

Fair enough, I visit China every month and love it.......as a visitor. However its very different as a foreign guest compared to a native worker. The report is not from someone in a bar, rather the BBC. I greatly commend you for taking your family to places many would be too ill informed or terrified to vist. China is an amazing country, great people and changing very fast!

I am sitting at a local hostel in Gulin China, with my wife and 2 children typing this. Been here 2 weeks this time and have had 2 trips before. Much of what you hear about China in the states is just not true. Seeing some of these posts just makes me laugh at people who hear something in a bar one night and then quote it as truth. Not that the Chinese government is a model for anyone, but I think propaganda goes both ways.

BTW, you know all the "BANNED" internet sites in China? Well, I havent found one yet, and Im using a local public Wifi.
Well, I’ve flown several times into Beijing, Shanghai and Qingdao (most recently 5 weeks ago) and have noticed that when I try to access “political” websites, aka news websites – many times my connection will get very slow and often I’ll simply lose the connection altogether. When I call the front desk they tell me the internet is down yet when I call one of the other pilots they say it works fine in their room.

BBC recently had an article where they said that for the very first time almost all the content on BBC website is accessible within China; however it’s only the English version (most Chinese do not speak English) and they did not expect this “openness” to last after the Olympic games.

Here’s a good article on the Chinese censorship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5024874.stm

Btw – I love flying into China, a beautiful country with rich history – I just wish it was a democracy but maybe one day?

Fair enough, I visit China every month and love it.......as a visitor. However its very different as a foreign guest compared to a native worker. The report is not from someone in a bar, rather the BBC. I greatly commend you for taking your family to places many would be too ill informed or terrified to vist. China is an amazing country, great people and changing very fast!

China has been great to us. I am traveling with a 1 year old boy and 5 year old girl and my wife. The people are very patient and aside from charging white people a bit more than locals. (25 cents for a coke rather than 10) It has been great.

I love the US, but when I hear some of the ignorant statements made by someone who probably has never spent any time here or befriended a Chinese person, I have to say something.

There are abuses in China, but we have Ruby ridge, Waco, Gitmo, Iraq, and countless other abuses. All countrys have innocent blood on their hands. I also would not want to see what would happen in the US when we pass 1.4 Billion people. At that point, I beleive many of our Rights, will be curtailed.

Im off, bamboo raft down the Li river to see a light show......

The truth is in blue

Pretty courageous.....could earn a one way ticket to the grave. 99 year contract anyone!

China pay row pilots 'turn back'

_44535945_chinaeastern22bb_ap.jpg
China Eastern saw flights from Kunming disrupted

A row over pay at several Chinese airlines has seen pilots disrupt flights, according to state media.
At China Eastern Airlines, 14 pilots turned back mid-flight blaming bad weather, despite other aircraft travelling normally, the reports said.
And there are claims that other pilots co-ordinated "sick days" - with about 40 Shanghai Airlines crew not coming to work on one day last month.
They are reportedly angry over deals tying them to their employer.
Rare protest
Pilots have been told to sign 99-year deals with state-owned airlines which force them to pay up to 2.1 million yuan ($300,000; £150,000) if they quit, China Radio International said.
The contracts are thought to be aimed at stopping the poaching of pilots by rival carriers.
The station added that China's Civil Aviation Administration had held an emergency meeting to address the problem - with threats of being shot issued for those found responsible for organising the action. China Eastern said that the 14 pilots who took off from Kunming, in the south west of the country, before returning to the airport, had done so because of their wanting to be shot. Industrial action is rare in China - where unauthorised protests and trade unions are banned under penalty of death

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7328000.stm
The truth is in blue. I wonder if Chinese pilots pay dues?

I am sure NAZI Germany was a beautiful country to visit in the 30's...why don't you take your family to Tibet. I am sure the monks being beat with batons would be entertaining. How abut N Korea... I am sure they are just misunderstod.

Absolute Governments are not friendly. We in America make mistakes but we also have the ability to speak out, protest, and oh yea vote for someone else. To defend communist China as being the same as America is beyond acceptable. I am guessing you see Auswitz as a misunderstood summer camp...some people just don't get it.

Yes. These are strong words but to defend a dictatorship while Americans are in harms way defending Amerca just brings me to a boil.

And yes I try to buy American made when I can and it makes me feel a whole lot better.

Just a Dumb Red Kneck!

... There are abuses in China, but we have Ruby ridge, Waco, Gitmo, Iraq, and countless other abuses. All countrys have innocent blood on their hands. I also would not want to see what would happen in the US when we pass 1.4 Billion people. At that point, I beleive many of our Rights, will be curtailed.
Wow, you know I was looking forward to have a nice "online conversation" with someone who loves traveling to foreign lands as much as I do. However, to compare our so called "abuses" to what the Chinese have been doing to their own population for decades now only shows your total ignorance of history... Amazingly stupid comparison...

Yes. These are strong words but to defend a dictatorship while Americans are in harms way defending Amerca just brings me to a boil.

Defending America? They might be in harms way but they are definitely not defending America. Boil as much as you want...

... Defending America? They might be in harms way but they are definitely not defending America. Boil as much as you want...
Hey 'weedge' - why don't you ask the Norwegian government to pull out all the whopping 100 troops from Afghanistan? I mean are they defending Norway there? Surely not – the way you’re thinking.. By the way as another scandihoovian I'm just as appalled by the cowardly lack of action by all European governments, including Sweden's. Nothing new though, Europeans will help but as always only when it's too late...

I don't think there is any contention regarding the Afghan mission. Iraq is a very different story.
The Norwegian contribution in Afghanistan is fully in line with the capability of the small armed forces of our country.

Wow, you know I was looking forward to have a nice "online conversation" with someone who loves traveling to foreign lands as much as I do. However, to compare our so called "abuses" to what the Chinese have been doing to their own population for decades now only shows your total ignorance of history... Amazingly stupid comparison...

This whole thread got me started when the typical US propaganda B####hit was brought up. You know, "in China you can only have one kid" "they shoot you an charge your family for the bullet" "they dont have toilets there" and many other untruths.
I have spent a collective 3 months traveling China, and not just the big towns. I have talked to hundreds, maybe thousands of Chinese, and many expats who own businesses from restaurants to Im sure is punishable by death..... None of them have known anyone to get killed or sent to the Gullags.

BTW, want to read a good book? Read Inside Delta Force, by Eric Hainey. One of the founding members of Delta force. Let him explain how the US found over 100 POWs from the Vietnam war in Cambodia in the 80's, and how Reagan sent the CIA in to exterminate them........ Read for yourself.

Dont tell me about truths in China. I have seen it for myself and dont have to believe what Fox news or the BBC tells me. Truth is, my 5 year old could probably tell most of the people on this board more actual facts about China, than they know.

Sorry you dont like alterate opinions from the "truth" Fox is giving you.:( I will say it again, I love my country, but it is as dirty as most, and if it was in Chinas postion, could be worse.

Btw. Nice Avatar. Do you like killing all arabs, or just certain ones. How ignorant. Educate yourself.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back